mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
the teenagers are/were not known to each other Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:00:49 AM

Neurons: 31,054
At about 11.40 am on Monday, the police found the younger teenager lying motionless with multiple wounds in a toilet.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigations revealed that the teenagers are not known to each other.

As the younger teenager is dead, should it be "Investigations revealed that the teenagers were not known to each other"?

Thanks!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:08:35 AM

Neurons: 633,797
You are right, "were" is correct.

However, the first sentence also has a minor problem. Did the toilet wounded, or the teenager?

At about 11.40 am on Monday, the police found the younger teenager lying motionless in a toilet with multiple wounds.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:35:19 AM

Neurons: 1,337,033
Now, the toilet has wounds. Oh my.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:08:55 AM

Neurons: 99,985
The 'are' is not a present tense but a timeless fact. No personal connection exists.
But the past tense does describe the situation at that time. Since he is dead that is never going to change. So it is logical.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:10:37 AM

Neurons: 31,054
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
You are right, "were" is correct.

However, the first sentence also has a minor problem. Did the toilet wounded, or the teenager?

At about 11.40 am on Monday, the police found the younger teenager lying motionless in a toilet with multiple wounds.

So it should be:

At about 11.40 am on Monday, the police found the younger teenager with multiple wounds lying motionless in a toilet. Am I right?
Audiendus
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:20:07 AM

Neurons: 1,383,972
thar wrote:
The 'are' is not a present tense but a timeless fact. No personal connection exists.
But the past tense does describe the situation at that time. Since he is dead that is never going to change. So it is logical.

But once one of them dies, the mutual knowledge ("to each other") ceases. The dead teenager can no longer "know" the other one. So I would use the past tense 'were'.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 10:05:08 AM

Neurons: 99,985
Yes, I did mean the past tense is more logical.
It made sense to me when I added it! Whistle
tautophile
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 10:48:38 AM

Neurons: 37,290
These sentences sound like early sentences in a newspaper article about a crime.

Koh Elaine's suggested change ("At about 11.40 am on Monday, the police found the younger teenager with multiple wounds lying motionless in a toilet") is a good one. Presumably this sentence follows one which describes police interactions with an older teenager at or near the time and place where the body of the younger teenager was found.

I would recommend: "Police found the body of the younger teenager in a toilet at about 11:40 AM Monday. His body had suffered multiple wounds, and he was pronounced dead at the scene." You don't really need to say "motionless", because if the body is dead, it's not moving.

It would appear that at least one other teenager, older than the one who was found dead, was at or near the scene of the crime. That might be just a coincidence, or the older teenager may have found the body and alerted the police: we don't know. We are told, though, that police determined that the two teenagers apparently did not know one another.

It might be a good idea to change "toilet" to "W.C." to make it clear the body was found in a room sometimes called a toilet, and not in or on a plumbing fixture called a toilet. Of course the corpse could have been found on a toilet (fixture) in a toilet (room). It would appear that the toilet or W.C. where the body was found was in a public place, not in a house or apartment.
The One And Only Emily
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 2:26:55 PM

Neurons: 41,031
Wilmar (USA) 1M wrote:
Now, the toilet has wounds. Oh my.

Um, no. What the text is supposed to mean is that the teenager has multiple wounds, not the toilet, because toilets can't get wounds. Drool
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:13:00 PM

Neurons: 633,797
Very cleverly extrapolated, Emily, after several participants have pointed that fact numerous times.
Think