mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
These ramekins are . . . Options
sb70012
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 11:35:58 AM

Neurons: 6,668
These ramekins are designed to resist high temperatures, as they are frequently used in ovens.
These ramekins are non-stick and their durable anti-burning surface can resist any cracks and unpleasant odors.
The material of these ramekins is ceramic. They are very easy to clean.

Hello,
I have written this by myself. Is it good English? Do I have any mistakes?

Thank you.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 12:16:00 PM

Neurons: 78,440
sb70012 wrote:
These ramekins are designed to resist high temperatures, as they are frequently used in ovens.

I suggest a rewording and shortening of this second one. I would say:
These ramekins are non-stick, and their durable surface resists cracking and unpleasant odors.

The material of these ramekins is ceramic. They are very easy to clean.

Hello,
I have written this by myself. Is it good English? Do I have any mistakes?

Thank you.

The other two look good to me.
tautophile
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 12:51:07 PM

Neurons: 42,592
"Ramekin". in the sense of a small, typically ceramic, bowl or container used for serving various foods, is not a common word. A chef or a gourmet or "foodie" would know it, but not your average diner. Crème brûlée, for example, is usually served in a ramekin, but most people would say it comes in a small bowl or dish, and leave it at that. You don't have to replace "ramekin" with some other word, but you might want to consider the possibility of doing so, or at least explain what the word means by, e.g., writing "These ramekins, or small dishes, are designed to resist high temperatures..."
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 1:38:21 PM

Neurons: 15,402
Expanding our vocabulary. ;)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 1:53:18 PM

Neurons: 18,072
Well for me ramekins is a common enough word, I wouldn’t advise against using it or needing to use another description.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 2:45:52 PM

Neurons: 1,358,720
A ramekin is made specifically for use in the oven, hence it is more than a small dish. My mother's generation tended to use the word more often than the current generations younger than mine. Ramekin by definition is a small, oven/heat-proof dish.
georgew
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 3:43:20 PM

Neurons: 2,694
tautophile wrote:
"Ramekin". in the sense of a small, typically ceramic, bowl or container used for serving various foods, is not a common word. A chef or a gourmet or "foodie" would know it, but not your average diner. Crème brûlée, for example, is usually served in a ramekin, but most people would say it comes in a small bowl or dish, and leave it at that. You don't have to replace "ramekin" with some other word, but you might want to consider the possibility of doing so, or at least explain what the word means by, e.g., writing "These ramekins, or small dishes, are designed to resist high temperatures..."

Agree. I've never heard the word "ramekins before, either.