mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars Options
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 4:33:03 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/14/2020
Posts: 583
Neurons: 3,485
Hi,

Are the following sentences okay?

a. Peter is one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars.

b. Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars.

c. Peter is one astronaut to have landed on Mars.

Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 6:07:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/15/2009
Posts: 797
Neurons: 772,518
Location: Ataşehir, Istanbul, Turkey
You may use future perfect tense :

"Peter, one of the 15 astronauts who will have landed on Mars by 2024,..."

Or

"Peter is an astronaut who will be landing on Mars."
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 6:21:35 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/14/2020
Posts: 583
Neurons: 3,485
Blodybeef wrote:
You may use future perfect tense :

"Peter, one of the 15 astronauts who will have landed on Mars by 2024,..."

Or

"Peter is an astronaut who will be landing on Mars."


Thanks for the info, but I'm investigating the possibility of replacing a relative clause with an infinitival phrase.

And this question requires delicate native-speaker judgments.
Audiendus
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 9:30:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,600
Neurons: 1,417,388
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:

a. Peter is one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars.

b. Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars.

c. Peter is one astronaut to have landed on Mars.

(a) is good.
(c) is OK, but less natural.
(b) is wrong. "An astronaut" is too weak a phrase to allow this infinitive construction.
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 9:44:46 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/14/2020
Posts: 583
Neurons: 3,485
Thank you. Does the following sound better than (b)?

Peter is a well-respected astronaut to have landed on Mars.


Audiendus
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2021 10:00:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,600
Neurons: 1,417,388
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Thank you. Does the following sound better than (b)?

Peter is a well-respected astronaut to have landed on Mars.

No, we would say "...who has landed on Mars".
Bathcoup
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2021 5:50:00 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/24/2021
Posts: 181
Neurons: 2,315
Audiendus wrote:
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:

a. Peter is one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars.

b. Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars.

c. Peter is one astronaut to have landed on Mars.

(a) is good.
(c) is OK, but less natural.
(b) is wrong. "An astronaut" is too weak a phrase to allow this infinitive construction.
----------------

Audiendus, could you explain why "An astronaut" is too weak .... - You've lost me. This must be one of my blind spots (there're many!).

Audiendus
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2021 10:05:56 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,600
Neurons: 1,417,388
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Bathcoup wrote:
Audiendus, could you explain why "An astronaut" is too weak .... - You've lost me. This must be one of my blind spots (there're many!).

It is very difficult to formulate a clear rule about the use of this infinitive construction. "Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars" just sounds wrong. The only sure way of learning the correct usage is to read and/or listen to many examples from native speakers. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful!
georgew
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2021 11:50:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/13/2016
Posts: 450
Neurons: 2,699
Location: Calabasas, California, United States
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

Are the following sentences okay?

a. Peter is one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars.

b. Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars.

c. Peter is one astronaut to have landed on Mars.



(a) and (c) are fine. (b) is wrong. You could say "Peter is an astronaut who has landed on Mars."


raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2021 12:34:30 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/14/2020
Posts: 583
Neurons: 3,485
Audiendus wrote:
Bathcoup wrote:
Audiendus, could you explain why "An astronaut" is too weak .... - You've lost me. This must be one of my blind spots (there're many!).

It is very difficult to formulate a clear rule about the use of this infinitive construction. "Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars" just sounds wrong. The only sure way of learning the correct usage is to read and/or listen to many examples from native speakers. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful!


Is the following okay?

Peter is not an astronaut to have landed on Mars.
Bathcoup
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2021 6:09:04 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/24/2021
Posts: 181
Neurons: 2,315
georgew wrote:
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

Are the following sentences okay?

a. Peter is one of 15 astronauts to have landed on Mars.

b. Peter is an astronaut to have landed on Mars.

c. Peter is one astronaut to have landed on Mars.

(a) and (c) are fine. (b) is wrong. You could say "Peter is an astronaut who has landed on Mars."
-----------------

I think it all depends on the meaning of "to have landed on Mars".

If "to have landed on Mars" describes the state of Peter (i.e. he's just landed on Mars and is there now), then I agree (b) is wrong and (c) is fine.

If it refers to the experience of successfully landing on Mars (i.e. he's back on earth now), then (b) is fine and (c) too can be correct.

Since nobody has landed on Mars, a similar sentence may be "Peter is a professor to have published three hundred peer-reviewed papers."

The precise meaning of "to have landed on Mars" will also affect Sentence (a).
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.