mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 104,298
Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867)

In the 1860s, France sought to establish an empire in Mexico. Ferdinand Maximilian, an Austrian navy chief and member of the Habsburg dynasty, accepted Napoleon III's offer of the throne, naively believing that the Mexicans had voted him their king. In reality, Maximilian's only support came from the French army, and the empire was doomed. In 1866, Napoleon withdrew his troops. Maximilian refused to abdicate and was captured and executed, ending the empire. What were his last words? More...
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 7:15:21 AM

Neurons: 8,702,117

June, 1867
French photographer François Aubert captures the firing squad assigned to execute Maximilian I, Emperor of Mexico. Their shots would stain the soil with Hapsburg blood and finalize the collapse of the short-lived Second Mexican Empire.

On the morning of June 19, 1867, Maximilian faced the men pictured above, allegedly giving each an ounce of gold to ensure they wouldn't shoot him in the head, as he wanted his mother to be able to view him.

It seems the firing squad kept their side of the bargain.

Ultimas Palabras de Maximiliano, "Mexicanos que mi sangre sea la última que se derrame y que ella regenere este desgraciado payo"

Last Words of Maximiliano, "Mexicans may my blood be the last that spills and may it restore this unfortunate peasant"

johnfl
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 3:46:26 PM

Neurons: 497,415
what a way to go!