mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
in vs. on Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 8:28:52 PM

Neurons: 30,624
Selling one of Singapore’s last charcoal-toasted bread, Ah Seng (Hai Nam) Coffee on Amoy Street embodies the core of our hawker culture.

Can "in" replace" "on"?

Thanks!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 8:45:00 PM

Neurons: 625,795
I suppose Ah Seng Coffee is located in a building along the mentioned street. In that case it's on the street, like "I live on Main Street". If Ah Seng sells his bread and coffee from a cart or tumbrel, not inside a building, he's doing it in the street.
Audiendus
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 8:50:19 PM

Neurons: 1,372,849
Koh Elaine wrote:
Selling one of Singapore’s last charcoal-toasted bread, Ah Seng (Hai Nam) Coffee on Amoy Street embodies the core of our hawker culture.

Can "in" replace" "on"?

"In" would be normal in British English.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 9:28:19 PM

Neurons: 1,323,576
AmE --
The business is located on Amoy Street, whether it is inside a building or run from a cart.

I wasn't aware that BrE prefers to say the business is located "in" Amoy Street.

tautophile
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 10:43:44 PM

Neurons: 35,629
Yes, the AmE usage is "on such-and-such a street"--I live on Crestview Drive--whereas the BrE usage is "in such-and-such a street"--Sherlock Holmes lived in Baker Street. I would expect BrE usage in Singapore.

"Selling one of Singapore’s last charcoal-toasted bread" is not good usage. I would recommend "Ah Seng (Hai Nam) in Amoy Street embodies the core of our hawker culture. It is one of the last places in Singapore that sells charcoal-toasted slices of bread"--if that is what is meant. Or it could be "It is one of the last places in Singapore to bake bread using charcoal ovens." Or "It is one of the last places in Singapore to sell slices of charcoal-baked bread."

I surmise that my first alternative is probably the best, because I doubt that hawkers--people who hawk their wares on the street--would have a charcoal oven big enough to bake loaves of bread in, but they might have a small grill where they could toast individual slices of bread over charcoal. Are there any bakeries in Singapore that have charcoal-fueled ovens, and if so, are loaves of bread baked in those ovens particularly prized by consumers?
sureshot
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2021 3:39:05 AM

Neurons: 477,683
tautophile wrote:
Are there any bakeries in Singapore that have charcoal-fueled ovens, and if so, are loaves of bread baked in those ovens particularly prized by consumers?

There are some Asian countries that use charcoal-fuelled ovens to bake bread and other items. The sizes vary as per the needs.
thar
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2021 4:39:40 AM

Neurons: 98,922
'unit' is an Australian English term. So a flat unit may be an Australian term, or it may be a mixture of Australian and British terms put together.