mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
verb form: will lend/am lending/have lent Options
robjen
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 2:52:24 PM

Neurons: 4,538
I have made up the example below.

(1) You are always low on cash. This is the last time I have lent you some money.

My non-native English speaking friends think the present perfect, "have lent" is wrong. They suggest the changes below.

(2) You are always low on cash. This is the last time I will lend you some money.

(3) You are always low on cash. This is the last time I am lending you some money.

My friends think my second sentence would sound more natural with their suggested verb forms.

I am using "have lent" based on my next two examples below.

(4) This is the first time I have eaten pizza.
(5) This is the first time I have watched a documentary.

Please help me. Thank you very much.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 3:19:10 PM

Neurons: 241,541
Hi robjen.

This is an 'odd' one because the normal usage of "first time" and "last time" do not 'match' at all.

The usual phrasing would be "You're always low on cash. This is the last time I lend you money."

The 'logic' is that:
A. "last time" is the end of a habitual action (I often lend you money, but this is the last time). Habitual actions use the simple present.

B. "First time" is not habitual, it hasn't happened before, so logically it would use the progressive (if in progress) or the perfect (if it started in the past and affects the present).
You may hear the progressive "This is the first time I'm having pizza", but it's VERY unusual, not normal idiom.
(4) This is the first time I've eaten pizza.
(5) This is the first time I've watched a documentary.