mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
correction of text Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2021 4:53:10 PM

Neurons: 30,622
By making a lot of orders via food delivery platforms and delivering it to their borrowers.
Code:

Shin Min Daily News reported that several riders had turned up at a flat unit at Fernvale Link with cash-on-delivery orders only to find the occupant did not order anything.

In the first paragraph, should it be "delivering them" replace "delivering it"?
In the second paragraph, should" flat unit be replaced by "flat,"?

Thanks!

FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2021 11:44:25 AM

Neurons: 76,374
Koh Elaine wrote:
By making a lot of orders via food delivery platforms and delivering it to their borrowers.
Code:

Shin Min Daily News reported that several riders had turned up at a flat unit at Fernvale Link with cash-on-delivery orders only to find the occupant did not order anything.

Since it is the "orders" being delivered, "them" should be used.

This is British usage, but since it speaks of "the occupant", it would seem that a single flat is what is meant. Whether "flat unit" refers to a single flat, or "flat unit" refers to a building with multiple flats, I'll leave to some of our British friends to explain.

Thanks!

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2021 3:10:52 PM

Neurons: 625,795
Several riders means this has happened several times. It seems quite obvious the orders have not come from one single flat, but from a unit (building) of flats. Possibly more than one buildings, belonging to one unit.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:09:54 AM

Neurons: 30,622
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Several riders means this has happened several times. It seems quite obvious the orders have not come from one single flat, but from a unit (building) of flats. Possibly more than one buildings, belonging to one unit.

Where I live, a flat unit refers to a flat, not a building of flats.
Bathcoup
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 7:32:11 AM

Neurons: 1,935
Koh Elaine wrote:
Code:

It's not even a sentence. "making ... orders"? "their borrowers", borrowers of what? They place the orders on credit?
"delivering them/it"? Could be either or neither - unless I understand the expression.

Thanks!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 2:04:39 PM

Neurons: 241,541
Hi.

As Bathcoup says, the first line appears to be only the last half of a sentence - it is not a sentence in itself.
However, I think you are right - "orders" - "delivering them".

I can only guess, here. "Flat unit" is not a phrase generally used in Britain, so it doesn't mean anything specific - it could mean one flat (a flat), or a group of them owned by one landlord, or a group of flats in one location (a block of flats). I don't know, it sounds like it's a phrase used in Singapore, not Britain.

From the way the rest of the sentence is written (one occupant) it sounds to me like it's one flat.

If I understand what is being said (and guessing a bit) someone (a money-lending scheme?) is being accused of harassing their debtors (borrowers) by ordering these unwanted cash-on-delivery meals.
This one borrower at Ferndale Link is one example.
Bathcoup
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2021 4:00:10 AM

Neurons: 1,935
"By making a lot of orders via food delivery platforms and delivering it to their borrowers."

To say it should be "delivering them" or "delivering it" is to imply there're no other problems.

"make orders" or "make an order" is used in legal context - same meaning as in "court order"
Assuming "making a lot of orders" is intended to mean "placing a lot of orders", the current structure indicates
the same people place and deliver a lot of orders - this is highly unlikely!

"By placing a lot of orders via food delivery platforms and specifying them to be delivered to their borrowers."

If the above is the intended meaning, then it's not a choice between "delivering them" and "delivering it". I've been a learner. I'm still a learner, a bad learner in many ways. So I don't have much to say about learning or teaching, but I always try to improve by reading good English - not easy to find perhaps.