mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Everything I buy from cake mix to a new dryer has instructions in Spanish Options
Kat
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:14:37 AM

Neurons: 3,389
What is this phenomenon?
Everywhere I call, press one for English, Everywhere I go, now the DMV
has a Spanish driving manual (who paid for that?), Everything I buy...

Won't this preferential treatment only prolong assimilation into
this already over taxed society and diminish any desire to learn English?

early_apex
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:25:08 AM

Neurons: 12,855
Kat wrote:
What is this phenomenon?
Everywhere I call, press one for English, Everywhere I go, now the DMV
has a Spanish driving manual (who paid for that?), Everything I buy...

Won't this preferential treatment only prolong an adjustment to
this already over taxed society and diminish any desire to learn English?

Most products I buy have instructions both in Spanish and French, in addition to English, since NAFTA. I think you could learn some language just by studying the labels.
valenarwen
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:47:33 AM

Neurons: 1,025
I think I may have translated the DMV thing...

My uncle lived in the states for 40 years and never got a handle on English. He did just fine...
Christine
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:54:46 AM

Neurons: 15,842
“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.”

Theodore Roosevelt
fred
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:59:23 AM

Neurons: 4,457
But, the higher quality products have French.

The most expansive products have a bundle of languages.

All my grandparents came to the U.S. in the earlier 1900s. They all learned English, even though they lived in their own "paisano" neighborhoods.
Rhondish
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 12:11:59 PM

Neurons: 787
This has alot to do with the fact that so many products are made overseas and delivered globally. The attempt is to satisfy the global market without having the expense of language specific packaging.

In regard driving tests, signage, etc; I live in New Hampshire and the further North you go you tend to see lots of French due to the proximity to Quebec. Though I have no issues with this, I feel this way, when I travel to a foriegn country, I try to learn enough of the language to get by and I try to find out what common cultural faux pas' to avoid. Not only does it make traveling easier, you lose almost all of the animosity towards Americans. It shows the citizens you respect them enough and understand that YOU are visiting THEIR country. If I was to move to Quebec, you can bet I would become a French speaker in a very brief period of time. I do think speaking the language should be required if you plan to become a citizen.

Having worked in the restaurant business for many years, I worked with many non-English speaking individuals and I discovered this. Most who are planning on staying in the States will make an effort to learn the language, at least enough to get by. Those who are here to make money with the plan to return home tend to stay with their fellow immigrents, thus never immersing themselves in the culture and learning the language.
eduardcastanyo
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:20:02 PM

Neurons: 3
My father-in-law complains that everything he buys has got instructions in English! It must be a conspiracy to keep us all learning languages. :-)
Yes -it's true that higher products have instructions in many languages.

Kat
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:59:29 PM

Neurons: 3,389
eduardcastanyo wrote:
My father-in-law complains that everything he buys has got instructions in English! It must be a conspiracy to keep us all learning languages. :-)
Yes -it's true that higher products have instructions in many languages.

Has your father-in-law considered learning how to speak and read English?
I too have noticed that the more expensive the product, the more languages
on the instruction sheet.
I am not opposed to learning a new language, but not through a list of
instructions on how to put a crib together. I do not consider that a
legitimate or precise learning tool.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:59:42 PM

Neurons: 39,962
Yeah, I generally rip out the English part of the manual and toss the rest. Last time I checked, Spanish will be the majority language in the USA by 2024. Just deal with it. (Wonder what's the Spanish for that?)
p.s. There is a great Calvin & Hobbes where they're attempting to put together a model airplane and Hobbes exclaims "Why you have to be able to read English, French, and Spanish to put this together!"
valenarwen
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:17:19 PM

Neurons: 1,025
Luftmarque wrote:
Yeah, I generally rip out the English part of the manual and toss the rest. Last time I checked, Spanish will be the majority language in the USA by 2024. Just deal with it. (Wonder what's the Spanish for that?)
p.s. There is a great Calvin & Hobbes where they're attempting to put together a model airplane and Hobbes exclaims "Why you have to be able to read English, French, and Spanish to put this together!"

It would be "jodanse"
fred
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:38:43 PM

Luftmarque wrote:

You don't know Calvin and Hobbes.
I know Calvin and Hobbes.

[image not available]

early_apex
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:42:51 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Luftmarque wrote:

[image not available]
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:48:21 PM

fred wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:

[image not available]

Perhaps not, but I do love C&H! And, it appears, early_apex has a line on the subject as well.
fred
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 3:55:33 PM

Luftmarque wrote:
fred wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:

[image not available]

Perhaps not, but I do love C&H! And, it appears, early_apex has a line on the subject as well.

C&H is by far the worst comicstrip ever written.

Christine
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:00:43 PM

Neurons: 15,842
I love the humor!
johnw
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:11:53 PM

Neurons: 177
An aging complaint, badmouthing the Spanish spoken here. If anyone on this forum as ACTUALLY interested in LANGUAGE, Inglish or other, what mite be interesting is, my prediction, what future language America will speak and write--I'm talking bona fide Spanglish "" . Inglish itself is an ancient pidgin language (Saxon/Norman), and here, within a hundred years say, there mite evolve a true pidgin of Inglish and Spanish, and hopefully the latter's superior system of pronouncing--to match the letter sounds of the alfabet-- will prevail in the mix, as too will the former's more precise, less animistic grammar (e.g., gender-free words.)
bugdoctor
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:15:03 AM

Neurons: 5,456
johnw wrote:
An aging complaint, badmouthing the Spanish spoken here. If anyone on this forum as ACTUALLY interested in LANGUAGE, Inglish or other, what mite be interesting is, my prediction, what future language America will speak and write--I'm talking bona fide Spanglish "" . Inglish itself is an ancient pidgin language (Saxon/Norman), and here, within a hundred years say, there mite evolve a true pidgin of Inglish and Spanish, and hopefully the latter's superior system of pronouncing--to match the letter sounds of the alfabet-- will prevail in the mix, as too will the former's more precise, less animistic grammar (e.g., gender-free words.)

Time is relative.
How about Farsi?
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:08:03 PM

arthbard
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:01:11 PM

Neurons: 189

[image not available]