mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Mario Gonzalez dead from excessive use of police force Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 1:58:10 AM

Neurons: 1,549,991
26-year-old father dies after California police held him face down for 5 minutes

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4/30/2028375/-Body-cam-footage-shows-CA-officers-kneel-the-life-out-of-Mario-Gonzalez-His-family-wants-answers

On April 19, 26-year-old Mario Gonzalez, a father living in Oakland, California, died after what Alameda police originally called a “medical emergency.” Gonzalez, according to police, had suffered this emergency after a “scuffle” with police, who were attempting to arrest Gonzalez for not being able to produce identification. On April 27, the City of Alameda posted an hour-long video of the events from one of the police officers’ body cameras. As with most of these tragic stories, what the police initially told Gonzalez’s family does not line up with what is on the video.

Within eight minutes of speaking with Gonzalez, two police officers are attempting to put his hands behind his back in order to arrest him, ostensibly for not producing identification. Gonzalez is soft spoken, not combative at all, and at times possibly disoriented. But he is never even remotely a threat to run away, let alone physically hurt or overpower the officers on the scene. Over the next eight minutes as police push Gonzalez down and get on top of him, trying to hold his hands behind his back while he lies in a prone position in wood chips and dirt, Gonzalez will go from pleading and heavy breathing to unresponsive. Less than 20 minutes after first coming into contact with police, the father of a 4-year-old is lying unresponsive on the ground while Alameda police perform CPR on him.

Why?

Because "he was scaring somebody's wife."

Quote:
In audio recordings of the 911 calls that prompted the police to approach him, one caller said Mr. Gonzalez had been loitering for about a half-hour and appeared to be breaking store security tags off alcohol bottles. Another said Mr. Gonzalez was talking to himself at a fence near the caller’s backyard.

“He seems like he’s tweaking, but he’s not doing anything wrong,” the caller told the dispatcher, suggesting that he appeared to be on drugs. “He’s just scaring my wife.”

Maybe it's time for the "scared wife" to go get some court ordered therapy! Maybe she should tell Mario's 4 year old that "she was scared."

FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:20:04 AM

Neurons: 75,232
Well, first the DailyKos is a left-wing political blog, not a genuine news outlet. Second, here is another case of a person behaving stupidly when confronted by police, and thinking it will end well. It's being reported that "Gonzalez is soft spoken, not combative at all, and at times possibly disoriented." But if that is true, it would not take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back. So someone is lying to someone, and I suspect it is this reporter.

When people behave erratically, the police are often called. In many cases, folks die when erratic behavior is not dealt with, as past school and business shootings attest. So to say all this happened because he was simply "scaring" someone's wife, is disingenuous, i.e,. another lie. He died because he didn't behave correctly. If he was "tweaking", it is because he chose to do so. If he didn't obey the instructions of the police, it's because he chose that behavior. So the result is the logical end of his choices - death from stupidity. It's a shame some people are this stupid, but that isn't the fault of the police. All he had to do was behave, and obey their instructions. Apparently, he chose the opposite path. He is responsible for his own behavior and destruction.

Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:41:45 AM

Neurons: 746,174
FounDit wrote:
Well, first the DailyKos is a left-wing political blog, not a genuine news outlet. Second, here is another case of a person behaving stupidly when confronted by police, and thinking it will end well. It's being reported that "Gonzalez is soft spoken, not combative at all, and at times possibly disoriented." But if that is true, it would not take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back. So someone is lying to someone, and I suspect it is this reporter.

When people behave erratically, the police are often called. In many cases, folks die when erratic behavior is not dealt with, as past school and business shootings attest. So to say all this happened because he was simply "scaring" someone's wife, is disingenuous, i.e,. another lie. He died because he didn't behave correctly. If he was "tweaking", it is because he chose to do so. If he didn't obey the instructions of the police, it's because he chose that behavior. So the result is the logical end of his choices - death from stupidity. It's a shame some people are this stupid, but that isn't the fault of the police. All he had to do was behave, and obey their instructions. Apparently, he chose the opposite path. He is responsible for his own behavior and destruction.

First, DailyKos is reporting the same basic information as other sources, such as cbsnews and the nytimes. There's also a good summary and additional sources on the wiki page.

Second, you are misreading the facts. It didn't "take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back". Officers talked for roughly 7 to 8 minutes and then tried handcuffing him.

Third, police are not allowed to kill someone because that person was behaving stupidly.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 2:13:23 PM

Neurons: 75,232
Lotje1000 wrote:
FounDit wrote:

First, DailyKos is reporting the same basic information as other sources, such as cbsnews and the nytimes. There's also a good summary and additional sources on the wiki page.
All three are admittedly biased sources which present information from a slanted point of view.

Second, you are misreading the facts. It didn't "take eight minutes to get his hands behind his back". Officers talked for roughly 7 to 8 minutes and then tried handcuffing him.
So if he had obeyed their instructions, why was it necessary to push him to the ground an attempt to handcuff him? Obviously, he didn't cooperate.

Third, police are not allowed to kill someone because that person was behaving stupidly.
The officers didn't kill him for behaving stupidly. They didn't kill him at all. They tried to arrest him and place him in handcuffs. He died because of is own stupidity.

Is it your contention that if he had obeyed the officers, they would have killed him anyway? For what reason? And please provide some evidence for that reason if you know of one.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 6:17:12 PM

Neurons: 57,434
1. CBS may be left of centre in choices of stories but media bias fact check says "High" Factual Reporting. Same story on all mainstream news media...ABC, LA Times...

2. Since when do Americans get arrested for not having identification with them? That is the definition of a police state.

Edited - just watched as much of the video as I could stand - the man is obviously not all there.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:32:23 PM

Neurons: 619,388
I wonder who, or what instance, has admitted that cbsnews or nytimes are biased sources. I'm not familiar with DailyKos, so I'm neutral on that case.

Anyone here shouldn't give out their opinions as proven facts. I've said this here before, just few days ago. Don't turn this Knowledge and Culture section the new Politics.
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:55:02 PM

Neurons: 235,767
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I wonder who, or what instance, has admitted that cbsnews or nytimes are biased sources. I'm not familiar with DailyKos, so I'm neutral on that case.

Anyone here shouldn't give out their opinions as proven facts. I've said this here before, just few days ago. Don't turn this Knowledge and Culture section the new Politics.

Quite right, *@#$ing right wing extremists! Whistle Whistle Shhh Folks should get their news from Patriot.com and Fox
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:10:08 AM

Neurons: 746,174
FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

All three are admittedly biased sources which present information from a slanted point of view.

I'll have to go with Jyrkkä Jätkä and wonder 'who, or what instance, has admitted that cbsnews or nytimes are biased sources.' It also doesn't seem like you checked the wiki article which (currently) cites 55 sources including even Fox news, which also reports the same description of events.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

So if he had obeyed their instructions, why was it necessary to push him to the ground an attempt to handcuff him? Obviously, he didn't cooperate.

That's not even slightly a response to what I pointed out.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
The officers didn't kill him for behaving stupidly. They didn't kill him at all. They tried to arrest him and place him in handcuffs. He died because of is own stupidity.

Is it your contention that if he had obeyed the officers, they would have killed him anyway? For what reason? And please provide some evidence for that reason if you know of one.

I don't know where you get that contention from, honestly. It certainly wasn't in my post.

I'm curious: Assuming you're right and the police officers didn't kill him, what did? Your only explanation is "stupidity", but how does stupidity kill exactly?
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 9:57:13 AM

Neurons: 235,767
Lotje1000 wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

I'll have to go with Jyrkkä Jätkä and wonder 'who, or what instance, has admitted that cbsnews or nytimes are biased sources.' It also doesn't seem like you checked the wiki article which (currently) cites 55 sources including even Fox news, which also reports the same description of events.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

That's not even slightly a response to what I pointed out.

FounDit wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:

I don't know where you get that contention from, honestly. It certainly wasn't in my post.

I'm curious: Assuming you're right and the police officers didn't kill him, what did? Your only explanation is "stupidity", but how does stupidity kill
exactly?

That's frightening, because, if Stupidity carries the death sentience, here in the US. then 90% of the population qualify for execution. The remaining 10% are immigrants, just like me!! ROFL Whistle