mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
it is crucial to lose your temper with your children . . . Options
onsen
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 10:31:29 AM

Neurons: 9,844
Hello,

Quote:

A. If you are an angry parent or boss, though, it is crucial to lose your temper with your children or colleagues.

B. Find the best ways to cool down when you’re most likely to lose patience: count to ten, or concentrate on breathing slowly.

(Anger, Oxford LEARNER’S POCKET Word Skills)

I removed the 'your' in the phrase 'lose your temper' in sentence A and obtained the following sentence C.
I placed 'your' between the 'lose' and 'patience' in sentence B and obtained the following sentence D.

C. If you are an angry parent or boss, though, it is crucial to lose temper with your children or colleagues.

D
. Find the best ways to cool down when you’re most likely to lose your patience: count to ten, or concentrate on breathing slowly.

Do the above sentences C and D work?

Thank you.
thar
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 11:02:29 AM

Neurons: 97,687
No, the first doesn't work. It is an idiom, to lose your temper.

Are you sure it isn't crucial not to lose your temper?
That seems like very bad parenting advice - get angry with your boss, take your frustrations out on your children!

You lose patience with something.

Quote:
Lose your temper
phrase. If you lose your temper, you become so angry that you shout at someone or show in some other way that you are no longer in control of yourself. I've never seen him get cross or lose his temper. I lost my temper and banged my book down on the desk. See full dictionary entry for temper.

Quote:
lose patience
phrase of patience
become unable to keep one's temper.
"even Laurence finally lost patience with him"

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 6:23:08 PM

Neurons: 238,743
Looking at it from grammar rules (if that helps) - "temper" is a countable noun.
You have a temper, He has a temper, they have tempers.

"Patience" is uncountable.
I have patience, you have patience, they have patience.

So "temper" needs an article or determiner (except in the plural). The usual determiner used for "temper" is a possessive pronoun - your temper, my temper, one's temper.

I agree with thar - it's crucial NOT to lose your temper.

As another note - there's a difference between becoming angry and losing one's temper.
One can be angry in a very controlled manner - an angry person can often seem to be physically holding himself/herself still.
Whe you lose your temper, you let go of that control.