mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Humorous writing Options
JessiWan
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:41:10 PM

Neurons: 64
Hello. I am reading a book where the author speaks in a humorous tone. She is describing the kind of criminal someone might be, if sociopathy became the new world order. She said this: "There is one particular international organization that would suit you down to the ground: a respectable family concern, run on traditional lines; where everyone is looked after unless they are very naughty boys, and where mom is king; where slights are taken seriously and properly punished. I think you know what I mean".

And I, as a matter of fact, do NOT know when she means. If I were to guess, I'd say she is describing the mafia. But I really don't know. What do you think she means? Thanks.
towan52
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 11:08:29 PM

Neurons: 237,196
you're correct in your assumption; although it could equally apply to the US Government. Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 8:00:07 PM

Neurons: 241,541
To me, it's more like the British government.

The USA doesn't seem to have "a respectable family concern, run on traditional lines; where everyone is looked after".

However I do agree that most governments could be described in exactly the same words as most international 'organised crime' consortia.

@JessiWan - it could be the Mafia or similar Chinese, Russian or South American 'mobs'.

The one thing which is 'odd' is that "mom is king" - most of these groups have very MALE leadership, a 'godfather', 'Jefe', 'Capo' or 'drug lord' - all masculine words.
Denise Winebrenner
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 10:15:33 AM

Neurons: 10
It would be easier to figure out what the words mean if you wrote the titles of the book and the author. It's so hard to say what the author means. If you like humorous writing, I recommend reading something from Vonnegut. True, he has more black humor, but you may like it.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:27:32 AM

Neurons: 98,919
the British government would not be an international concern, would it. It might be the British royalty, which fits 'mom' except they wouldn't use the word 'king' if being elliptic.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:26:09 PM

Neurons: 76,374
Just a guess, but it sounds to me like the Clinton Global Initiative, with Hillary playing the role of "Mom". Slights are taken very seriously, and punished immediately.