Welcome Guest
chastise Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
chastise

(verb) Censure severely.

Synonyms: castigate, chasten, objurgate, correct

Usage: She chastised him for his insensitive remarks about her weight until he was the one crying.
lazarius
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 2:05:30 AM

Neurons: 1,397,168
Daemon wrote:

Quote:
Now that I have been drawn into this subject while perched upon the Malakand Pass, let me say that I and other young officers had been brought up quite differently from the University boys of those times. The undergraduates of Oxford and Cambridge used to drink like fishes, and they even had clubs and formal dinners where it was an obligation for everyone to consume more liquor than he could carry. At Sandhurst, on the other hand, and in the Army, drunkenness was a disgraceful offence punishable not only by social reprobation often physically manifested, but if it ever got into the official sphere, by the sack. I had been brought up and trained to have the utmost contempt for people who got drunk — except on very exceptional occasions and a few anniversaries — and I would have liked to have the boozing scholars of the Universities wheeled into line and properly chastised for their squalid misuse of what I must ever regard as a good gift of the gods.

-
My Early Life, by Winston S. Churchill

-
monamagda
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 7:19:54 AM

Neurons: 7,700,132
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:49:30 PM

Neurons: 1,552,282
“Respect the young and chastise your elders. It's about time the world was set aright.”

Vera Nazarian
Mehrdad77
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 1:01:03 PM

Neurons: 513,654
Chastise is a fancy word for telling someone that something they did was really bad. If you pick your nose, your mom will probably yell at you. If you pick your nose in front of the Queen of England, your mom will chastise you.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 1:01:59 PM

Back in the Middle Ages, chastise used to also come with a beating — that sense of the word has passed, and in fact, people tend to use chastise when they are trying to accuse someone else of overreacting. "You're chastising me for forgetting to feed the cat, but it's not like the cat died!"

Mehrdad77
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 1:04:00 PM

chastise (v.)
"to inflict pain upon to punish and recall to duty, to punish for the purpose of correcting or reclaiming," c. 1300, chastisen, from Old French chastiier "to warn, advise, instruct; chastise, admonish; punish; dominate, tame" (12c., Modern French châtier), from Latin castigare "to set or keep right, to reprove, chasten, to punish," literally "to make pure" (see castigate). Or perhaps from Middle English chastien (see chasten) + -ise, though this would be early for such a native formation. The form of the modern word "is not easily accounted for" [OED]. Related: Chastised; chastising.

He alone may chastise who loves. [Rabindranath Tagore, "The Crescent Moon," 1913]
Irma Crespo
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2021 4:25:46 PM

Neurons: 109,750
Chastise - Censure severally.