mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The quartz spear Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 1:50:22 PM

Neurons: 20,687
The quartz spear was nothing special. Plenty like it at the bazaar, for the right price. The spear’s cloudy, white point lay on the workstation, next to the pestle
and mortar. It glinted dully."
Southcote Primary School › ...PDF
Web results
Double Life - Southcote Primary School
I read this in Raider's peril.
This is the first paragraph of the book so I didn't expect "the" before "quartz spear, bazaar, the workstation and pestle and mortar. Could you please explain the use of definite article before those nouns? What makes them specific in this context as they have been introduced for the first time to the reader?
thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 2:27:01 PM

Neurons: 97,376
Jigneshbharati wrote:
The quartz spear

The specific one that they are looking at/talking about

was nothing special. Plenty like it at the bazaar

The bazaar in that town, or the generic location 'in the bazaar, like "you can't buy this in the shops"

for the right price. The spear’s cloudy, white point lay on the workstation, next to the pestle
and mortar.

They are looking at it - that pestle and mortar have some significance

It glinted dully."
Web results
This is the first paragraph of the book so I didn't expect "the" before "quartz spear, bazaar, the workstation and pestle and mortar. Could you please explain the use of definite article before those nouns? What makes them specific in this context as they have been introduced for the first time to the reader?

By using 'the' you are specifying them, making them special, pointing out that particular one.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 2:35:16 PM

Thanks!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 2:41:31 PM

Does "quartz spear" mean a spear made up of quartz, thar?
sportsherald
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 4:50:56 PM

Neurons: 414,453
I would interpret 'quartz spear' to really mean a quartz spearhead, or an entire spear with such a spearhead. It would be impractical to carve an entire spear (including its shaft) out of quartz, not only due to the extensive carving and much larger piece of quartz required, but because such a shaft would likely break easily.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:09:33 PM

Thanks
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:11:51 PM

Neurons: 16,002
sportsherald wrote:
I would interpret 'quartz spear' to really mean a quartz spearhead, or an entire spear with such a spearhead. It would be impractical to carve an entire spear (including its shaft) out of quartz, not only due to the extensive carving and much larger piece of quartz required, but because such a shaft would likely break easily.

I’d agree normally, but if the book “Raider’s Peril” has any magical leanings it could be a whole spear of quartz. Things that happen in magical worlds not our don’t have to stick to real world rules.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:17:10 PM

Neurons: 97,376
I agree, a quartz head. Although quartz crystals can be pretty ferocious in the right circumstances , pretty impossible to carve without breaking, and not much strength against bending forces.
It depends how fantastical (ie how much of a fantasy, not reality) the story is.

Some quartz crystals in situ in a cave in Mexico. All it tales is the right conditions and a bit of time!

Edit, posted before I read Sarries' post so agreeing with previous post.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 8:31:21 PM

Neurons: 462,014
Jigneshbharati wrote:
The quartz spear was nothing special. Plenty like it at the bazaar, for the right price. The spear’s cloudy, white point lay on the workstation, next to the pestle
and mortar. It glinted dully."
Web results

The last sentence is "The spear’s cloudy, white point lay on the workstation ...". This part of the text offers a clue to your query. The point/tip/head of the spear pointed item was not transparent. Basically, "quartz spear" refers to a spear point made of crystal quartz. In the past, chipped quartz stone were used as arrow points/tips and also as the head of other tools such as a spear. These quartz points/heads/tips or heads were in turn fixed into wooden spears. These days, manufacturers make jewellery items which have several pieces of quartz crystals. These quartz crystals have heads/tips that have a shape similar to that of an arrowhead or a spear tip. You can refer to the following sites in order have a better understanding of the various shapes of quartz crystals used in the manufacture of jewellery.

- https://www.etsy.com/market/quartz_spear
- https://www.etsy.com/market/quartz_spears

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 2:17:25 AM

Thank you!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 2:49:32 AM

Neurons: 16,002
I hate to disagree but I do.
Having found the book online and skim read a little the action is between a group of children in the real world and their avatars in a computer game.
In that game they have magical items such as a cloak of ice, another spear of topaz, an obsidian axe.
Later there is another quartz weapon mentioned.
Quote:
Armed only with a quartz sword?

A quartz spear head is possible in the real world, but a quartz sword?
These are unreal items in a video game world.