mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
suitable adverbs Options
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 3:36:26 AM

Neurons: 4,695
Hello, everyone!!

I have a question about adverbs in the following sentences:

1) In the summer of 1994, the Moon was very extensively / exactly / closely mapped by the little spacecraft Clementine.

2) Umea, in Sweden, is only 500 kilometers from the Arctic Circle, which means that from October to February it only gets between 42 and 45 minutes of sunlight every day. And that is only if it isn’t raining, when depressingly / basically / naturally, it may never get light at all.

3)If you don’t get any light, the body delays producing a signal that it’s time to get up. Over time, you basically / naturally / wrongly get a kind of ‘jet lag’ where your body clock is not set correctly for the time of the day.

Which of them can be used in the sentences above? maybe sometimes several of them can be used (obviously, they will mean different things but at least they will be grammatically correct/suitable)

Thank you in advance!
thar
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 4:08:55 AM

Neurons: 97,376
map extensively

closely is unnatural. You map at a large scale.
exactly is wrong. You map something precisely.

--
I would correct this to
it only gets between 42 and 45 minutes of sunlight every each day.

depressingly yes
naturally - a bit odd. Apart from being patronising, it is not a natural result that if it is raining you don't get sunlight. Direct sunshine, yes, that is blocked out. But it is not automatically dark just because it is raining, so this doesn't make logical sense. You still get some sunlight if it is not completely dark.

basically - no, it doesn't work here, and it is to be avoided anyway. Because 'basically' is overused and is considered bad style.

--
wrongly - no
you don't wrongly get jetlag. You can wrongly assume or think something. But you do get jetlag or you don't. It is not a mistaken mindset or mistake you have made.

naturally - not good. Naturally does not usually mean 'because of nature'. It means as a logical consequence, the only outcome. It doesn't work here, in my opinion.

basically - no. Avoid this clichéd word like the plague! Don't use it unless you really mean 'at its base, fundamentally'.

I will not say basically
I will not say basically
I will not say basically

repeat every morning as you brush your teeth. Whistle

AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:25:31 AM

Neurons: 4,695
Thank you very much, thar!))