mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
state of being active Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 11:15:12 AM

Neurons: 21,668
Activity means the state or quality of being active. I saw this in Collins dictionary. What exactly does state, condition, and quality mean in simple words as used here?
Thank you. Why do we need "being" in the phrase "state or quality of being active"?

Why can't we say "state of active"? What would this sentence mean? I am sorry to have asked you another question.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 8:25:35 PM

Neurons: 78,440
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Activity means the state or quality of being active. I saw this in Collins dictionary. What exactly does state, condition, and quality mean in simple words as used here?
Thank you. Why do we need "being" in the phrase "state or quality of being active"?

Why can't we say "state of active"? What would this sentence mean? I am sorry to have asked you another question.

A "state" or "condition" IS "being". In other words, "being" is existence, it is living. How you live, or what you are experiencing at the moment, is your state, or condition. You can be in a state of activity, a state of calm repose, a state of sleep, or a state of consciousness.

In each state, you are existing (being) in that state (being in a state of activity; being in a state of rest; being in a state of sleep, etc). The state can also be thought of as the condition you are in - active, resting, sleeping, etc. We don't say, "state of active". Instead we say, "state of activity". To use "active", we have to say "the state of BEING active"; the word "being" conveys the idea of living/existing (doing) in whatever state is mentioned.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 10:16:45 PM

Thanks a lot!
georgew
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 11:42:12 PM

Neurons: 2,694
We don't need "being." "Active" is sufficient. It's understood.
Pancham27
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 12:49:44 AM

Neurons: 220,098
Jigneshbharati wrote:

Dear forumite I would like to suggest you if possible then plz refer to the conditional phrases, clauses and sentence.. I assure you will get answer for your problem.
Audiendus
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 2:14:58 AM

Neurons: 1,414,037
georgew wrote:
We don't need "being." "Active" is sufficient. It's understood.

We need "being" in this case, because "state of active" would be ungrammatical. "Of" needs to be followed by a noun. "Being" here is a gerund, which acts as a noun.
thar
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 2:18:14 AM

Neurons: 101,523
It has to be a noun.

A state of anxiety
A state of calm

A box of chocolates.

So you either use the noun
A state of activity
Or the gerund
A state of being active.

The noun alone doesn't work. A state is how you are or what you are doing.

If you are anxious you are in a state of anxiety.

With activity it is what you are doing. You are being active.
You are in a state of being active.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 3:24:54 AM

Thank you!