mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.

Washington Irving (1783-1859)
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 4:53:08 AM

Neurons: 362,047
Yeah. Tears, laughter and money are ruling the world… Right, Washington?
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 9:46:11 AM

Neurons: 7,559,187

A misattributed quotation.
Dr. Boli does not believe that Washington Irving wrote those sentences. The actual work is never cited—a sure marker of a misattributed quotation. But in trying to trace the quotation to its real author, Dr. Boli has found only more bafflement.

Context from:The Mother's Assistant and Young Lady's Friend, Volumes 6-7

Sacredness Of Tears

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, of unspeakable love. If there were wanting any argument to prove that man is not mortal, I would look for it in the strong, convulsive emotion of the breast, when the soul has been deeply agitated, when the fountains of feeling are rising, and when tears are gushing forth in crystal streams. O, speak not harshly of the stricken one—weeping in silence! Break not the deep solemnity by rude laughter, or intrusive footsteps. Despise not a woman’s tears—they are what make her an angel. Scoff not if the stern heart of manhood is sometimes melted to tears of sympathy—they are what help to elevate him above the brute. I love to see tears of affection. They are painful tokens, but still most holy. There is pleasure in tears—an awful pleasure! If there were none on earth to shed a tear for me, I should be loth to live; and if no one might weep over my grave, I could never die in peace.

- Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1841

https://books.google.com/books?id=eiYAAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA77&lpg=RA1-PA77&dq=There+is+a+sacredness+in+tears.+They+are+not+the+mark+of+weakness,+but+of+power.+They+speak+more+eloquently+than+ten+thousand+tongues.+

http://drboli.com/2015/08/11/find-the-source-of-the-quotation/

InfoSister
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 10:30:05 AM

Neurons: 154,498
Whether a quote from Irving or not, the quote rings true because it says the truth. "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, of unspeakable love." In our world which idolizes power and strength and belittles any form of compassion as "sentimental weakness", this reminder that man is greater than his physicality because of his soul is a necessary antidote.
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 10:33:43 AM

Neurons: 1,514,012
Yes, tears send messages, but their interpretations depend on the recipient's attitude and education.
mudbudda669
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 1:57:34 PM

Neurons: 422,800
Pray
Felix-C185445
Posted: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 2:56:18 PM

Neurons: 400,845
The quote reminded me what happened to me when I watched The Grave Of The Fireflies.