mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Mariusz Kulesza
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:52:15 AM

Neurons: 2,697,348
It's true. She would tell everything everyone.
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 2:40:24 AM

Neurons: 21,713
Daemon wrote:
One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

One needn't overly concern oneself that a woman who tells her true age would tell one anything simply because the first six words alone, with the rest redacted, tell it exactly as it is...trust me. Whistle Dancing
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 3:35:45 AM

Neurons: 816,750
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:22:11 AM

Neurons: 7,559,187

Context from: A Woman of No Importance

1. FIRST ACT

HESTER. Very much indeed.

MRS. ALLONBY. Don't find yourself longing for a London dinner- party?

HESTER. I dislike London dinner-parties.

MRS. ALLONBY. I adore them. The clever people never listen, and the stupid people never talk.

HESTER. I think the stupid people talk a great deal.

MRS. ALLONBY. Ah, I never listen!

LORD ILLINGWORTH. My dear boy, if I didn't like you I wouldn't have made you the offer. It is because I like you so much that I want to have you with me.

[Exit HESTER with GERALD.]

Charming fellow, Gerald Arbuthnot!

MRS. ALLONBY. He is very nice; very nice indeed. But I can't stand the American young lady.

LORD ILLINGWORTH. Why?

MRS. ALLONBY. She told me yesterday, and in quite a loud voice too, that she was only eighteen. It was most annoying.

LORD ILLINGWORTH. One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything.

MRS. ALLONBY. She is a Puritan besides -

LORD ILLINGWORTH. Ah, that is inexcusable. I don't mind plain women being Puritans. It is the only excuse they have for being plain. But she is decidedly pretty. I admire her immensely. [Looks steadfastly at MRS. ALLONBY.]

MRS. ALLONBY. What a thoroughly bad man you must be!

LORD ILLINGWORTH. What do you call a bad man?

MRS. ALLONBY. The sort of man who admires innocence.

LORD ILLINGWORTH. And a bad woman?

Read more: http://www.literaturepage.com/read.php?titleid=woman-of-no-importance&abspage=16&bookmark=1

Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 9:22:27 AM

Neurons: 362,047
Daemon wrote:

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. Whether you trust or not, whether they tell the truth or lies, but they always find a way - their way. It’s a gift that never stops giving. Right?

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 10:07:00 AM

Neurons: 1,514,012
I think that women are different just as men are different. To categorize people is a huge mistake. To single out a quote from a play to reflect what Oscar Wilde thinks of women is misleading.
InfoSister
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 11:02:51 AM

Neurons: 154,498
I am afraid that I must defend women, whom Oscar Wilde depreciates so badly. There is nothing wrong with a woman telling you her real age; it is the women (and men!) who feel the need to dissemble about truth who are most to be distrusted. Anyone with such low self-esteem that they feel the need to lie about their age cannot be trusted to be forthright on any matter--especially on those matters of greatest importance (which chronological age is not.)Dancing
Itz Goodluck Igbanibo
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 11:28:09 AM

Neurons: 5

its true
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:02:26 PM

Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Yeah. Whether you trust or not, whether they tell the truth or lies, but they always find a way - their way. It’s a gift that never stops giving. Right?

The only time women tell lies is when they know that thetruthjust won't fit-in. Whistle Speak to the hand Brick wall
Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:29:56 PM

InfoSister wrote:
I am afraid that I must defend women, whom Oscar Wilde depreciates so badly. There is nothing wrong with a woman telling you her real age; it is the women (and men!) who feel the need to dissemble about truth who are most to be distrusted. Anyone with such low self-esteem that they feel the need to lie about their age cannot be trusted to be forthright on any matter--especially on those matters of greatest importance (which chronological age is not.)Dancing

Would you prefer that Oscar Wilde had done a much better job of deprecating (don't confuse deprecate with depreciate) women? Why be afraid to defend women?

Many underaged males lied about their age during World Wars 1 and 2 so that they would be accepted into the military and be able to fight for their country. Any low self-esteem felt by these underaged lads was only because they felt that they were mature enough to serve their country but their true age was considered as being too young by the authorities, but when they lied and increased their age by a few years then the authorities were only too happy to then sign them up in drafted-droves. Go figure?

Chronological age can be a matter of great importance in many situations, like in the age of consent for but one example.

Doodle Snackers
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:40:58 PM

Adyl Mouhei wrote:
I think that women are different just as men are different. To categorize people is a huge mistake. To single out a quote from a play to reflect what Oscar Wilde thinks of women is misleading.

You've just categorized people yourself by singling them out as men and women. Brick wall d'oh! Whistle
coag
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 1:55:15 PM

Neurons: 9,071
Daemon wrote:
One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that, would tell one anything. Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Fake news!

A woman that doesn't reveal her age is probably selective about revealing other things, and she's probably tricky. So, watch your back, bro.
Felix-C185445
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 4:06:48 PM

Neurons: 400,845
Thanks @monamagda, so again it's not that Oscar Wilde stood behind those words, it's simply something said by a character from one of his works.
Ajike Omooba
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 8:45:12 PM

Neurons: 315,565
Hmmm... it's a no win situation for women! If she says yes, she means to say no! If she says the truth, she would say anything!