mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Michel de Montaigne (1533) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
Michel de Montaigne (1533)

On his 38th birthday, Montaigne retreated to his library in a tower of his family's French château, and there he spent most of the next decade thinking, reading, and writing. The result was Essais, or Attempts, a series of short prose reflections on many subjects that form one of the most captivating and intimate self-portraits ever written. Montaigne's Essais established the essay as a literary form. What personal tragedy may have prompted Montaigne to begin writing? More...
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 3:35:23 AM

Neurons: 816,750
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 9:40:39 AM

Neurons: 1,514,012
"My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened."

Michel de Montaigne
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2021 10:21:15 AM

Neurons: 7,559,187

Traumatic Brain Injury and Therapeutic Creativity
April 16, 2012
Michael Sperber, MD , Michael Sperber, MD

After Lord Michel Eyquem de Montaigne suffered a traumatic brain injury and PTSD from a near fatal horseback riding accident, he retired from public life, secluded himself in one of the towers of his château, and devoted himself to writing.

Montaigne was obsessed with death up until the age of 37, when he suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and PTSD from a disastrous horseback riding accident. Subsequently, he retired from public life, secluded himself in one of the towers of his chteau, and devoted himself to writing.

During the following decade, Montaigne invented a new literary form-the essay-a new literary style-“stream of consciousness”-and he resolved his obsession with death. The relationship of the TBI and PTSD to his literary creations and death obsession is explored here.

Montaigne and servants had been riding on a forest path a few miles from the chteau when a runaway horse slammed into him from behind, throwing him violently onto the ground several feet away. He lost consciousness for several hours and when he regained it, he began to vomit clumps of blood between bouts of dyspnea and episodic coughing.

Traumatic brain injury Methought my life but just hung upon my lips1

TBI is a non-degenerative, non-congenital insult to the brain from an external mechanical force, possibly leading to permanent or temporary impairment of cognitive, physical, and psychosocial functions, with an associated diminished or altered state of consciousness. It is a major cause of death and disability worldwide, especially in children and young adults. Causes include falls, vehicle accidents, and violence. In the 16th century, horseback riding accidents were probably not uncommon, but Montaigne’s was particularly severe.

The impact of the large horse, “rushing like a Colossus upon the little man and the little horse,”1 he writes,

turned us both over, topsy turvy, with our heels in the air; so that there lay the horse, overthrown and stunned by the fall, and I ten or twelve paces from him, stretched out at length, with my face all battered and bruised, my sword, which I had I my hand, about ten paces beyond me, and my belt broken all to pieces, without any more motion or sense than a stock. Those who were with me concluding me dead…carried me to my house.1

Read more:https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/traumatic-brain-injury-and-therapeutic-creativity