mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
I've seen 21 springs.... Options
Dukul
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 1:03:52 AM

Neurons: 8,127
Which one sounds grammatical and natural enough? If none, please suggest a new one.

1) I have lived through 21 springs but I haven't found my twin flame yet.

2) I've seen 21 springs come and go but I haven't found my own twin flame yet.

3) 21 Springs have passed and I still haven't found my twin flame.

4) I've seen 21 springs come and go but I'm yet to find my soul mate.

P.S. I meant I am now 21 years old so I have seen 21 springs come and go. Basically I mean I have 21 years of experience of spending time being single.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 1:47:13 AM

Neurons: 74,672
Dukul wrote:
Which one sounds grammatical and natural enough? If none, please suggest a new one.
I would use "Spring times" to make it clear you mean the season of Spring. I think the 1 and 4 are the best.

1) I have lived through 21 Spring times, but I haven't found my twin flame yet.

2) I've seen 21 Spring times come and go, but I haven't found my own twin flame yet.

3) 21 Spring times, have passed, and I still haven't found my twin flame.

4) I've seen 21 Spring times, come and go, but I've yet to find my soul mate.

P.S. I meant I am now 21 years old so I have seen 21 springs come and go. Basically I mean I have 21 years of experience of spending time being single.
sureshot
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 3:22:24 AM

Neurons: 461,526
Dukul wrote:

1) I have lived through 21 springs but I haven't found my twin flame yet.

2) I've seen 21 springs come and go but I haven't found my own twin flame yet.

3) 21 Springs have passed and I still haven't found my twin flame.

4) I've seen 21 springs come and go but I'm yet to find my soul mate.

The noun "spring" can be countable or uncountable. In more specific contexts, the plural form "springs" can be used to talk about more than one "spring season". Marriam Webster Dictionary mentions the plural form "springs". It is a countable noun used to refer to one of the four periods (spring, summer, autumn, and winter) into which the year is commonly divided. "Springtime" is used a single word when referring to the season of spring.

So, to me, in the given context, it is correct to use the plural countable noun "springs". There is no need to use "spring" as an adjective in order to avoid using the plural countable noun "springs".

I see that you have used "twin flame" and "soulmate" in the 4 sentences. Actually, the two expressions convey different senses. Many people assume that a "twin flame" is the same thing as a romantic soul mate and use the terms interchangeably, but these are entirely different things.

A "twin flame" is actually where a soul has ascended into a high-enough level such that it can be split into two different bodies at the same time. So, "twin flame" alludes to two halves of the same soul in two bodies. "Twin flame" refers to a kind of high-level, soul-based connection and it isn’t about romance. It’s about spiritual growth. While "twin flame" can be a romantic relationship, they can also be completely platonic in nature. "Twin flame" doesn't have to be someone you fall in love with. "Twin flames" make "soul mates" look and feel totally disposable in comparison, since they’re like "super" soul mates. You could have many "soul mates", but there will always be just one "twin flame".

Unlike "life partners", or what we consider to be "soul mates", "twin flames" are intense and challenging relationships that force us to deal with our unresolved issues and become a bigger person. Because of this intensity, it's uncommon for "twin flames" to be a lifelong partnership. Rather, they are people who enter your life for a period of time to help you grow and steer you on course. "Twin flames" are intense and life-changing relationships that can forever change who you are. A "twin flame" can be a romantic partner, a friend or even a mentor. Your "twin flame" is not one you should wait around for, as not everyone meets one in one's lifetime. Should you find a "twin flame", don't expect the person to be your life partner. That's another type of relationship.

Depending on what you wish to imply, you could use "twin flame" or "soulmate" (life partner). If I were referring to a romantic relationship, I would prefer to use "soulmate" or "life partner". So, from the given four sentences, my choice would be sentence 4. "I've seen ..." appears more natural as "live through" is usually used when referring to an unpleasant experience or period. Surely, this is not your intended sense!

thar
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 4:18:43 AM

Neurons: 97,340
To agree with sureshot and disagree with FD, I think 'X springs' is fine.

The usual way to express this poetically in English is to count your age in summers, but springs just makes it a bit different while still being totally understandable. And it actually works well because spring and finding a mate in nature, or love in humans, are linked in literature.

It is not standard speech but if you want to say something in an original, poetic way then it is fine, although "seen" would be better than "lived through".
It is more a more poetic phrase. To live through something is to survive something bad. It make that time sound like a hard slog.
That also makes it sound like you have been searching for that long. I assume you mean you have been alive that long.

summer
Quote:
(poetic or humorous) year;
used to give the age of a person, usually a young one.
He was barely eighteen summers old.
She had seen not more than twenty summers.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/summer

This is a fairly famous quotation that comes to mind if you use springs instead of summers to count years.

Quote:
In the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love

Tennyson

Twin flame sounds odd.
Twin, perhaps, although match is better - you are not looking for a copy of yourself, I hope! Someone with their own qualities.
But flame then sound odd. Flames don't come in pairs, and they are always changing so they don't have a twin. So that metaphor doesn't really lead me anywhere, as a reader using British cultural metaphors. You might have to explain that more when writing it in English.
Clyde of Oz
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 4:23:14 AM

Neurons: 6,097
In addition to the advice of others, I would suggest that 21 be spelled out: twenty-one. This is particularly important in #3, where it begins the sentence.
tautophile
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 10:00:35 AM

Neurons: 32,280
Back in the 1920s, the American humorist Milt Gross wrote a parody of the Longfellow poem "Hiawatha", called "Hiawatta", in which he referred to a member of Hiawatta's tribe as an

...ancient chiff [chief] of four-score [i.e., 80] winters,
Not forgetting all the summers,
Plus a couple of springs wit' [with] autumns...
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 3:10:03 PM

Neurons: 15,972
thar wrote:
To agree with sureshot and disagree with FD, I think 'X springs' is fine.

The usual way to express this poetically in English is to count your age in summers, but springs just makes it a bit different while still being totally understandable. And it actually works well because spring and finding a mate in nature, or love in humans, are linked in literature.

It is not standard speech but if you want to say something in an original, poetic way then it is fine, although "seen" would be better than "lived through".
It is more a more poetic phrase. To live through something is to survive something bad. It make that time sound like a hard slog.
That also makes it sound like you have been searching for that long. I assume you mean you have been alive that long.

summer
Quote:
(poetic or humorous) year;
used to give the age of a person, usually a young one.
He was barely eighteen summers old.
She had seen not more than twenty summers.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/summer

This is a fairly famous quotation that comes to mind if you use springs instead of summers to count years.

Quote:
In the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love

Tennyson

Twin flame sounds odd.
Twin, perhaps, although match is better - you are not looking for a copy of yourself, I hope! Someone with their own qualities.
But flame then sound odd. Flames don't come in pairs, and they are always changing so they don't have a twin. So that metaphor doesn't really lead me anywhere, as a reader using British cultural metaphors. You might have to explain that more when writing it in English.

Twin Flame it’s a modern new age mumbo jumbo term.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 3:43:51 PM

Neurons: 616,383
Here in Finland we have a (fairly) common saying that someone is nn winters old. Century or more ago the life was hard and faminy and deseases killed lots of people, especially during the harsh winters.

I was born in January 63 years ago, but I could say I've seen 64 winters.

(I don't remember much of the two first winters, though. My avatar picture is taken in my two-year birthday ;-)
georgew
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 10:26:18 PM

Neurons: 2,444
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Here in Finland we have a (fairly) common saying that someone is nn winters old. Century or more ago the life was hard and faminy and deseases killed lots of people, especially during the harsh winters.

I was born in January 63 years ago, but I could say I've seen 64 winters.

(I don't remember much of the two first winters, though. My avatar picture is taken in my two-year birthday ;-)

I've wanted to compliment you for your attractiveness. Do you still have the same hair style? I was born in March 48 years ago, but in Philadelphia where the winters were a bit milder than yours.

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2021 2:10:59 AM

Neurons: 74,672
Hmm. I didn't realize I'd put a space between Spring and times. Now that I look at it, and it seems odd. Well, it was late at night and I was tired. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL