mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
worthy Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:32:13 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,341
Neurons: 16,049
Does this sound OK

He gave me worthy advice.
thar
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 5:27:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 24,218
Neurons: 98,094
No, if you mean it has value, then advice is good or useful or valuable.
Or in a very long-winded way, advice that was well worth taking.

But as an adjective, it means it has enough value to deserve something
they were a worthy winner
(only positive, not a worthy loser).
It does not mean the same as 'valuable'.
Or
The famine relief fund is a worthy cause.
This project is worthy of your attention
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 11:24:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 15,820
Neurons: 75,464
thar wrote:
No, if you mean it has value, then advice is good or useful or valuable.
Or in a very long-winded way, advice that was well worth taking.

But as an adjective, it means it has enough value to deserve something
they were a worthy winner
(only positive, not a worthy loser).
It does not mean the same as 'valuable'.
Or
The famine relief fund is a worthy cause.
This project is worthy of your attention


But it's possible for someone to give you bad advice. Wouldn't you think worthy advice is possible also? Advice can have value or it can be of no value, depending on the outcome.
thar
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 11:35:43 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 24,218
Neurons: 98,094
True, advice can be bad. Good or bad. But not worthy or unworthy.

Worthless, yes, but that is not the opposite of worthy.

Worthwhile advice / worthless advice.

But not worthy advice.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 11:56:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 15,820
Neurons: 75,464
thar wrote:
True, advice can be bad. Good or bad. But not worthy or unworthy.

Worthless, yes, but that is not the opposite of worthy.

Worthwhile advice / worthless advice.

But not worthy advice.


The dictionary disagrees.

From TFD:

wor·thy (wûr′thē)
adj. wor·thi·er, wor·thi·est
1. Having worth, merit, or value: a worthy cause.


worthless adjective
of no value

thar
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 1:20:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 24,218
Neurons: 98,094
But that 'worthy' is always used in a different way, isn't it. Worthy of respect. A deserving cause, a worthy cause. But not deserving advice, not worthy advice. Unless American English does use it that way?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 6:30:05 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 15,820
Neurons: 75,464
thar wrote:
But that 'worthy' is always used in a different way, isn't it. Worthy of respect. A deserving cause, a worthy cause. But not deserving advice, not worthy advice. Unless American English does use it that way?


I have always heard it used in just such a way. "Advise worthy of being heeded", for example, would be worthy advice; advice that has value and worth, but also respect, for anything with value is also usually respected.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.