mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
lower reaches of the river Options
lazarius
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 2:19:14 AM

Neurons: 1,412,346
https://books.google.com/books?id=IsIOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA85&dq=%22the+lower+reaches+of+the+river%22

Quote:
In the approaches to the Thames, and in the lower reaches of the river, there was a minimum depth of 20 feet at low-water spring-tides over the shoals, ...

When your perception is biased by similar expressions in your native language there is a risk of grievous misunderstanding. Hence my question:

What exactly is meant by the words approaches and reaches?

-
thar
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 3:25:54 AM

Neurons: 98,094
The approaches is on the way there - ie the sea as it becomes the river. (Heading in, the ships approaching through deeper channels)

Quote:
ADMIRALTY Chart - 1610 Approaches to the Thames Estuary
£23.95

Includes changes to depths, wrecks and obstructions from the latest British Government, Trinity House and Belgium Government surveys.

All our standard charts are corrected to the latest Notices to Mariners.

The lower reaches = the lower portions of the river, before it becomes the sea (or, heading in, when it's still a tidal saltwater river near the sea)

A reach is one section, one stretch of a river.

In a major city and port like London, these will be named.

The Thames starts off as a small river, flowing from the Cotswold hills, winding through fields and towns, flowing gently downstream. The upper reaches.
As it nears the sea it becomes a tidal river and eventually becomes saltier and opens into an estuary. The lower reaches., Where ships sail up the river into docks.

You always use upper / lower to describe the segments of a river as it flows down to the sea, but upriver and downriver for direction or relative location.
lazarius
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 4:12:05 AM

thar wrote:
A reach is one section, one stretch of a river.

This I was not sure of. Thank you very much!

thar wrote:
In a major city and port like London, these will be named.

That's very interesting. I will have to learn some of these to be able to disguise as a local. :)

thar wrote:
You always use upper / lower to describe the segments of a river as it flows down to the sea, but upriver and downriver for direction or relative location.

Thank you.

-
thar
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 4:38:46 AM

Neurons: 98,094
Most locals in London aren't that local, so I'm not sure how many would even know what a reach is, and possibly not that many names, except Gallions reach. Think

There is an area called Gallions Reach which is also the name of its DLR station.
The stations have odd names because they are named after the areas, which are named after the docks or wharves there - East India, West India, Canary, Prince Regent, Victoria, Royal Albert, King George V, Cyprus (not a dock)

Knowing the reaches of the Thames would impress the hell out of the old-time locals but get you weird looks or blank stares from some of the others! Whistle

lazarius
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 5:27:38 AM

thar wrote:
Gallions reach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallions_Reach

Quote:
Gallions Reach is a stretch of the River Thames between Woolwich and Thamesmead.

The word Woolwich I know already. I came across it in a book - you might remember me asking questions:

https://vk.com/doc226675238_504393876?hash=6396208a4f1a49f508

I came across it once more in a book (I'm still reading it) by Sir Winston Churchill - it is a military school, the other being Sandhurst, where he eventually landed.

-