mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
mistyping Options
Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:23:30 AM

Neurons: 14,324
Is that wrong to use 'mistyping' as a noun here? I should just say that is a typo or can say also that is my typo if I want to say that the word wasn't written as 'waste' I myself write that wrongly?

No, sorry Wilmar that is my mistyping
https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst205786_you-mean-a-complete-wast-of-my-talents.aspx
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:52:58 AM

Neurons: 246,318
There is only one 'trouble' with the word "mistyping" - it looks like "misty ping".
I'd use a hyphen 'mis-typing'.
However it would only normally be used as an uncountable 'noun', or as a verb. Not "a mis-typing".

So, to be a bit more 'idiomatic' one would normally say "Sorry Wilmar; I mis-typed" or (as you say) "Sorry Wilmar; it's my typo."
Tara2
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:59:09 AM

Neurons: 14,324
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
There is only one 'trouble' with the word "mistyping" - it looks like "misty ping".
I'd use a hyphen 'mis-typing'.
However it would only normally be used as an uncountable 'noun', or as a verb. Not "a mis-typing".

So, to be a bit more 'idiomatic' one would normally say "Sorry Wilmar; I mis-typed" or (as you say) "Sorry Wilmar; it's my typo."

Many thanks dear Drago for the great explanation!!!
Orson Burleigh
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:37:33 PM

Neurons: 168,117
It is, perhaps, an odd thing: At the first sight of the word ‘mistyping,’ in my mind I was transported back fifty years, to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai, nestled against the mountains and astride the Ping River, is liable to temperature inversions which occasionally trap clouds and smoke against the mountains, leading to misty, foggy or smoggy mornings during the rainy season (July to November) and the cool season (December and January). Thanks for deploying 'Misty Ping' and bringing to the fore memories of that much-loved place.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 6:51:26 AM

Neurons: 59,686

Orson - have you been back since then? If not, I'd advise you NOT to do so. Keep those beautiful memories intact. Thailand is still a beautiful, entrancing country containing miles of unspoilt beauty & beaches. But Chiang Mai has become a tourist destination.

The last time I was there - about 7-8 years ago, we only stayed overnight and then moved on: hordes of drunken Aussies; night-clubs and bars jostling for room, topless tourists prancing around the beaches...and all the usual sharp practices associated with tourist hot-spots.

Thailand is my favourite place on that side of the world, and Thai people the highest on my list of wonderful, generous, kind and friendly people. I wouldn't say that tourism has ruined it in the way Bali has been - but it has most certainly changed certain places, and it saddened me to see Chiang Mai turned into Australia-on-sea...and stocked with bloody Fosters!!

Orson Burleigh
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 7:24:35 PM

Neurons: 168,117
Romany wrote:

Orson - have you been back since then? If not, I'd advise you NOT to do so. Keep those beautiful memories intact. Thailand is still a beautiful, entrancing country containing miles of unspoilt beauty & beaches. But Chiang Mai has become a tourist destination.

The last time I was there - about 7-8 years ago, we only stayed overnight and then moved on: hordes of drunken Aussies; night-clubs and bars jostling for room, topless tourists prancing around the beaches...and all the usual sharp practices associated with tourist hot-spots.

Thailand is my favourite place on that side of the world, and Thai people the highest on my list of wonderful, generous, kind and friendly people. I wouldn't say that tourism has ruined it in the way Bali has been - but it has most certainly changed certain places, and it saddened me to see Chiang Mai turned into Australia-on-sea...and stocked with bloody Fosters!!

A second assignment in Thailand kept me there for several years in the late 80s and early 90s. Though the liaison office that was my base was in Bangkok, the work involved extensive travel in Thailand’s border areas (Cambodia, Lao and Myanmar borders). The Thai soldiers with whom I often traveled would occasionally plan trips that included ’inspection’ stops at places that were of some significance in earlier Thai history, in the history of the Khmer Empire (the Khmer ruled much of the area before the Thai moved southward into the region) and even in the area’s pre-history.

Recent trips have been to visit family in Ayutthaya (my wife’s hometown), Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima. We did make the overnight train trip to Chiang Mai a few years ago to meet with friends who lived there. Chiang Mai had obviously been touched by prosperity and growth, but was still recognizable as the same friendly small city.