mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Are both explanations correct? Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 6:07:08 AM

Neurons: 25,693
Hi teachers,
Trying ti explain and differentiate simple past with the present perfect.
Situation.
Tom: I lost my keys.
Lisa: When did you?

Explanation:
a) The focus is on the action that took place in the past with no present state of that action and there is not an implied present consequence.
b) The focus is on the action that took place in the past with no present state of that action and no implied present consequence.

Accepting that the explanations are right, are both explanations correct?

The idea is to differentiate simple past and present perfect which is this other example:
Tom: I have lost my keys.
Lisa: Now what?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 12:28:21 PM

Neurons: 71,670
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,
Situation.

Explanation:
a) The focus is on the action that took place in the past with no present state of that action and there is not an implied present consequence.
b) The focus is on the action that took place in the past with no present state of that action and no implied present consequence.

Yes. This statement of fact tends to focus the mind on the time when the keys were lost in the past. You tend to think about when it happened in the past.

The idea is to differentiate simple past and present perfect which is this other example:
This statement tends to focus the mind on the present, and looking back at the completed fact of losing the keys. You realize, in the present, something that happened in the past.
Thanks.

DavidLearn
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 2:08:59 PM

Neurons: 25,693
FounDit wrote:
[quote=DavidLearn]Hi teachers,
Situation.

Explanations:

Yes. This statement of fact tends to focus the mind on the time when the keys were lost in the past. You tend to think about when it happened in the past.

This statement tends to focus the mind on the present, and looking back at the completed fact of losing the keys. You realize, in the present, something that happened in the past.

Hi FounDit,
I appreciate your reply. Then both explanations, "a" and "b" make sense completely.

David.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 7:39:44 PM

Neurons: 71,670
DavidLearn wrote:
FounDit wrote:
[quote=DavidLearn]Hi teachers,
Situation.

Explanations:

Hi FounDit,
I appreciate your reply. Then both explanations, "a" and "b" make sense completely.

David.

Yes, that's right.