mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

gleen? Options
yuriythebest
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:14:29 PM

Neurons: 60
right, I've heard this on the BBC:

"have you been able to gleen if there were any protests?"

seems she must have used a similar word, because to my knowledge gleen means to cull, to select- and according to thefreedictionary "to glisten, to gleam" (flash light)
Drew
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:56:14 PM

Neurons: 4,487
yuriythebest wrote:

seems she must have used a similar word, because to my knowledge gleen means to cull, to select- and according to thefreedictionary "to glisten, to gleam" (flash light)

You probably heard the word correctly. It seems like the term you looked up may have simply been misspelled. The word you are looking for is probably glean. When used in the above context, it generally refers to gathering facts.
vr091073
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:05:37 PM

Neurons: 720
Drew wrote:

You probably heard the word correctly. It seems like the term you looked up may have simply been misspelled. The word you are looking for is probably glean. When used in the above context, it generally refers to gathering facts.

That's correct.
fred
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:12:14 PM

Neurons: 4,457
yuriythebest wrote:

How would they GLEAN if there where any protests? Either the info would be yes a protest or no.
I don't see how one can determine if there where protests by gathering information one bit by one bit.
vr091073
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:54:58 PM

Neurons: 720
fred wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:

How would they GLEAN if there where any protests? Either the info would be yes a protest or no.
I don't see how one can determine if there where protests by gathering information one bit by one bit.

You have a good point of course, and the thought of this occurred to me as well, but glean seems to be the term meant in the original source, not the homophonous alternate set as the title of this particular thread.
yuriythebest
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:16:07 PM

Neurons: 60
ahh yes, must've been GLEAN. still, glean refers to the selection of something, culling. I think the reporter simply misused the word in an attempt to appear more erudite.
lynkait
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:29:54 PM

Neurons: 3
GLEAN can also simply mean to find out, ascertain, or uncover as in a story or truth; in which case it strikes me as highly appropriate to use in the context of an investigative news report.
risadr
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:17:35 AM

Neurons: 3,545
fred wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:

Perhaps the situation is not such that a protest (or protests) would have been obvious.
fred
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:46:29 AM

risadr wrote:
fred wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:

Perhaps the situation is not such that a protest (or protests) would have been obvious.

There was a protest or there was not a protest. It would seem the answer is not something that has to be pieced together. If the protest was concealed, the answers would all be "NO".

If you want to use cull or select, the same would be true. The answer is either yes or no. No culling or selecting process can be used if the protests were concealed in some manner.

It would be interesting to see "have you been able to gleen if there were any protests?".

early_apex
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:23:10 PM

Neurons: 12,855
fred wrote:
risadr wrote:
fred wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:

There was a protest or there was not a protest. It would seem the answer is not something that has to be pieced together. If the protest was concealed, the answers would all be "NO".

If you want to use cull or select, the same would be true. The answer is either yes or no. No culling or selecting process can be used if the protests were concealed in some manner.

It would be interesting to see "have you been able to gleen if there were any protests?".

If there was a protest in the woods and no one was around to hear it, would it still be a protest? Could it be gleaned?
fred
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 1:35:04 PM

early_apex wrote:
fred wrote:
risadr wrote:
fred wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:

If there was a protest in the woods and no one was around to hear it, would it still be a protest? Could it be gleaned?

It must have been one of those silent Save the Whales protests by deaf Buddhist Monks.