mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The $20,050 Video Game Options
Newguy787
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:18:07 PM

Neurons: 38
Want to play war games like some evil mastermind? All you need is this touch table ─ and a game coming out early next year.

I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to play the part of a James Bond villain ─ or at least have the cool swag that comes with being megalomaniacal. All I'd need right now is $20,000 to buy this IntuiFace table by IntuiLab. But you'll need to cough up another $50 or so next year to take advantage of it with Ubisoft's "R.U.S.E." ─ an intriguing upcoming real-time strategy game. The fast-paced title takes you through World War II. To me, it looks like you're playing a high-speed, high-intensity version of "Risk" or "Axis and Allies". (I like its twist of letting you earn special abilities like Radio Silence or Decoys for catching your opponent off-guard.) The big draw to this demo, though, is how you navigate and command units in the world. You're able to change the camera view to pull back to a large war-room overview or zoom down to a bale of hay on the battlefield. This is all done with multitouch sweeps and on-screen gestures drawing rings around units and sending them into battle. What was amazing is that there wasn't a single slowdown, not one break in the action while the test went on. Already, the game is looking gorgeous. Then again, if you're projecting it onto this super-expensive table, it had better look good.

So, are they just making this game for the superwealthy? No. According to the developer, the technology scales very nicely. Representatives say they expect the game to work well on tablet PCs that will be available when "R.U.S.E." ships in early 2010. (The game is also being crafted for the Xbox 360 and PS3 ─ no touch-screen interface there, of course).

alvrez
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:01:49 PM

Neurons: 795
$20,000.00 for a video game? seems some people have more money than sense. It will, no doubt, become a status symbol.
mediagod2004
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:59:15 PM

Neurons: 12
Microsoft developed this table according to an article around this time last year about a TABLE PC. I've seen it used in movies already and is comparative to the way Cruise uses the 'board' in Minority Report and as desribed above. What is more is anything u have that is Bluetooth, you can just set on the screen of the BOX and it will unload docs for you and you can throw them around, enlarge, etc.
As we all know, it all starts out more than we can afford. In 5 to 10 years at most you will have them in your home. Just like big screen and flat screen TVs use to be out of range for general populace and now most have one. Just my 2 pence. The magazine's name won't come to me, it's the one that is ALWAYS about cutting edge technology and I can't remember it's name at the moment. It is WELL respected. Anyway. Ciao.