mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Crystal Options
Atatürk
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 6:54:42 AM

Neurons: 8,268
Placebos are treatments that have no direct effect on the body, yet still work because the patient has faith in their power to heal. Most often the term refers to a dummy pill, but it applies just as much to any device or procedure, from a sticking plaster to a crystal to an operation.

What does "crystal" mean in the above?

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:09:11 AM

Neurons: 59,634

There's only one meaning for the word 'crystal' so it always means the same thing wherever it's used.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:26:10 AM

Neurons: 1,269,659
Crystal has quite a few definitions, but the one your sentence is using is the following, I believe. From TFD:

9. a piece of crystalline material thought to have or confer any of various special powers: healing crystals.

Some people hang crystals in their homes because they believe it brings them good luck, or has some special powers to heal.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:28:11 AM

Neurons: 14,644
Romany wrote:

There's only one meaning for the word 'crystal' so it always means the same thing wherever it's used.

Actually Rom is more than one I can think of.
Crystal a solid formed of an arrangement of atoms and molecules in a particular structure such a a salt crystal, quartz or calcite.
Crystal is also sometimes used to describe fine cut glass like decanters and glasses, which look like a crystal but being made of glass are amorphous solids.

But in this case as I suspect you meant to say crystal refers to the first solids of a particular composition arranged in a certain structure, some people believe that have special healing properties which is “mostly” bunk.
“Mostly”, some crystals like iodine are antiseptics.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:33:56 AM

Neurons: 1,269,659
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Romany wrote:

Actually Rom is more than one I can think of.
Crystal a solid formed of an arrangement of atoms and molecules in a particular structure such a a salt crystal, quartz or calcite.
Crystal is also sometimes used to describe fine cut glass like decanters and glasses, which look like a crystal but being made of glass are amorphous solids.

But in this case as I suspect you meant to say crystal refers to the first solids of a particular composition arranged in a certain structure, some people believe that have special healing properties which is “mostly” bunk.
“Mostly”, some crystals like iodine are antiseptics.

Indeed, there are many definitions of crystal.