mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
the choice of a tense Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 7:55:54 AM

Neurons: 12,405
The original script

Feifei
I'm very impressed, Roy. I saw you doing some recycling earlier! And is that a reusable bag?

Roy
Yes, I'm saving the world one bag at a time! I was reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.

What difference would there be? My editing

Feifei
I'm very impressed, Roy. I have seen you doing some recycling today! And is that a reusable bag?

Roy
Yes, I'm saving the world one bag at a time! I've been reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.

I saw you doing some recycling earlier! VESRUS I have seen you doing some recycling today!
I was reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing. VESRUS I've been reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.
PowerWriter
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 8:29:34 AM

Neurons: 177,992
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
The original script

Feifei
I'm very impressed, Roy. I saw you doing some recycling earlier! And is that a reusable bag?

Roy
Yes, I'm saving the world one bag at a time! I was reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.

What difference would there be? My editing

Feifei
I'm very impressed, Roy. I have seen you doing some recycling today! And is that a reusable bag?

Roy
Yes, I'm saving the world one bag at a time! I've been reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.

I saw you doing some recycling earlier! VESRUS I have seen you doing some recycling today!
I was reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing. VESRUS I've been reading an article about the climate emergency that our world is facing.

Your first option is more correct. I saw you doing some recycling earlier is the correct tense. Had/have puts things into perfect tenses which mean they span time periods. Seeing Roy in the past doing something is a past event only. The same is true for reading the article. It is something Roy did in the past but is still not doing nor did over a period of time.

Beyond the tense issues, you have a non-sequitur. The reading of the article doesn't completely link to Roy picking up garbage. I want to see his motivation: I read an article ... and I felt the need to do something. Note that I changed the verb from was [reading] to read, from past continuous to simple past. You'd you use was reading in a case like, I was reading an article while waiting for a bus.

IMHO