mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A Horse With No Name Options
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 7:07:05 AM

Neurons: 58,266
Quite a few of you may have heard of this old song by 'America': by now it's a classic from the 'Seventies.

Quite a few you either studied, or picked up a bit of Latin.

Ever thought of combining the two? One of my tweet-peeps is a Classical scholar and also an expert of medieval music...and he (and some of his students), DID think of it.

When I'm writing I always have background music playing - sometimes it's "The House of The Rising Sun"...in Old (Medieval) French; other times it's Eminem & Snoop & the gang...in medieval instrumentals, and other times it's Classic rock... in Latin.

I had this playing while I worked this morning and it suddenly struck me that, well, not everyone is interested in history here, but most of us like music. So I thought some of you might - for interest's sake - like to hear how they used to rock in the 14th century.

Whatever: here it is - give it a go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PdfrfPC5NY&list=RDPbEKIW3pUUk&index=6

Edited to add this especially for Thar - I listen to a lot of Old Norse music too - here's the Immigrant Song in that language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0vVQnNGcc&list=RDPbEKIW3pUUk&index=4
tautophile
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 10:32:34 AM

Neurons: 22,282
"Caballus sine nomine"?
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 10:52:06 AM

Neurons: 55,571
Thanks, Rom. I watched both and I'm glad you enjoy them. The lyrics are very good.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 5:03:18 PM

Neurons: 599,149
Thanks Rom! Immigrant Song in Old Norse - I couldn't have thought.

I'm also a great fan of Orf's Carmina Burana, but that's another thing.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 5:30:50 PM

Oh JJ, I was hoping you'd see this!

And yes, Orf's Carmina Burana is very much another thing: it's magisterial!

I got hooked into throat-singing some time back and from there I started searching around all the music coming from the top of the earth -and found a whole new genre of modern music I hadn't even known existed! And it's so different to the music of Middle Earth and the light, reedy, tinny music from the Southern hemisphere.

So now I alternate Gregorian chants, Norse chants and Aussie Hip-hop when I'm working. (And when it's going particularly well I break out into loud, raucous rock; and type to the beat.)

But having come across these now have added yet another genre to the music that runs through my days.
(My favourite is The Housing of the Rising Sun in Old French)
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 5:41:23 PM

Oh Hope, me darlin' girl, your reply made me shout out loud with laughter.

I know perfectly well you're not into history at all, and you thought it was pretty awful/boring/you'd rather have root canal.

But the measured way in which your being glad for me being glad skilfully obscured the point that the clip itself did not make you glad!

You're such a diplomat!Dancing Dancing

Thank you, Hope.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:58:07 PM

Neurons: 55,571

ROTFLMAO, Romany.

Guilty as charged. I considered not saying anything but thought I'd hit on the perfect way to say something nice and still tell the truth. But you know me too well.

Yes, I prefer new to old, but it was not history, as whether it is old or modern, I can't stand repetition.

You would think with some Norse blood in my DNA I would appreciate their musical history - but no. I found it monotonous noise and wonder how you even think while it is playing. (Sorry Thar and JJ.)

I also studied Latin for five years in high school and hated it. I do find it helpful now with deciphering English, Spanish, and even French new words. But I found that video to be monotonous repetition of words and the same phrase or two of music.

If there is one thing my whole body abhors, it is repetition. I suppose that is because of the ADD.

To me many of the modern songs aren't even music. Maybe it is not so strange I don't like 14thC rock because I never was much into the age of rock and roll or bands of my day, and only know such names as Beatles and Rolling Stones because they are so famous. Well, I like some of their songs but if asked would not know who sang which ones. My son and my grans think I'm weird. (I am, I guess.)

Sometimes when my husband likes a drum solo I'm wishing it would stop. He likes a guitarist from Spain called Juan d'Anyelica (we heard him in Cancún). He's obviously very talented but I don't like it. The songs they sing at churches these days are full of repetition. Even in my younger days at church, verse after verse of the same hymn I found boring. There is no purpose, rhyme, or rhythm to jazz - I guess that's why musicians like it - they can improvise.

I like Mozart but not Bach. I watch the Vienna Choir show every January 1st faithfully. Austria would be my favourite destination if I could travel.

I like calming instrumental music. I like music that's melodical, with interesting lyrics. As in Billy Joel's Piano Man "an old man makes love to his tonic and gin" and "when I wore a younger man's clothes". John's "smile ran away from his face". They are "sharing a drink they call loneliness"

"And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
And say, "man, what are you doin' here?"

Billy Joel has a way with words - and music. That's my kind of music. I'm not deep enough for your friends.

Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 9:12:58 AM

Neurons: 166,701
Thanks Rom, those were great!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 9:45:10 AM

Neurons: 230,746
When I lived in Manchester, I used to go down to Salford Cathedral occasionally and hear concerts by a mediaeval orchestra - crumhorn, sackbut and shawm, tabor, psaltery.

I liked that "House of the Rising Sun" - in Middle French. Interesting parallels with English in places.

I built several bowed psalteries, too around that time - one of them I know is still in use. Lost track of the others.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 12:09:55 PM

Neurons: 599,149
You all could find something worth of listening by searching "gamelan" in YouTube.