mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
paper collecting Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:08:26 AM

Neurons: 13,159
What do you call the paper products such as books, magazines and other paper products which you collect for recycling? Is there a specific word? For example, if you saw a pile of books brought to a recycling point what do you call it? I think they are not books any longer but what are they?
georgew
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:54:45 PM

Neurons: 2,164
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
What do you call the paper products such as books, magazines and other paper products which you collect for recycling? Is there a specific word? For example, if you saw a pile of books brought to a recycling point what do you call it? I think they are not books any longer but what are they?

- used books
- pre-owned books
- books for recycling

Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:50:26 AM

Neurons: 13,159
I see. But it can be not only books. It can be books, magazines, pieces of paper. Would "recycling paper" do the trick?
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 7:53:12 AM

Neurons: 1,267,647
I think context is required here (again).

If the pile of books, magazines, papers, junk mail remnants has already been gathered up and now needs to be moved into the recycling bin, then I would say something like, "I need to take out the recycling".

If you are trying to collect materials for the purpose of recycling, and you want to limit what you collect to paper products, then you need to be more specific about that. "We're collecting newspapers, magazines, soft-cover books, and other paper scrap for recycling. You can drop it off here today or tomorrow."

Or you can take your chances by using "paper recycling". "We're collecting paper for recycling. You can drop it off here today or tomorrow."

On alternate Tuesday mornings, I take the recycling to the curb for pickup.

Context.