mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Let the transition begin Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 7:49:53 PM

Neurons: 1,485,574
Members of President Trump’s administration are obstructing a peaceful transition of power -- by refusing to let President-elect Joe Biden’s transition team formally begin its work.

These Trump appointees have no right to stand in the way of this nation moving forward. Not only is this a direct attack on the will of the American people -- but each lost day puts the new government behind schedule.

And according to some officials, these delays are already gumming up discussions on crucial issues -- like national security strategies and plans to distribute a possible coronavirus vaccine.

Sign the Petition: GSA Administrator Emily Murphy and other Trump appointees must do their jobs and let Biden’s team start its massive undertaking.

General Services Administration (GSA) Administrator Emily Murphy has an important job to do: now that Joe Biden is the projected 2020 election winner, she is supposed to sign paperwork that gives Biden’s team the go-ahead to start its transition.

But in keeping with Trump’s failure to concede the election --- Murphy refuses to write this letter, and the administration has expressed no intent to sign one.

This formal process is how transition teams start to assess the agencies they will soon oversee -- and get access to things like their official email addresses, office spaces, and funding for salaries. For over 50 years, it has been a crucial part of our country’s peaceful transition of power.

But these Trump loyalists are doing everything in their power to slow this all-important process down. And in the meantime, Trump is openly contesting the results of the election -- threatening meritless litigation to stop ballot counting or otherwise interfere with election officials' work.

If you believe that GSA Administrator Emily Murphy must do her job and facilitate this transition, add your name now.

The voters have spoken and now, it’s time for our government to move forward. Trump-appointed bureaucrats should not hold the new administration back.

I hope you’ll speak out today,

Devon Nir, Digital Campaigner
and the team at Common Cause
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 9:10:28 PM

Neurons: 57,037
A president is trying to undo an election result. How would you describe that situation in another country?
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:09:47 PM

Hope123 wrote:
A president is trying to undo an election result. How would you describe that situation in another country?

Generalissimo...

Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 6:50:38 AM

Neurons: 510,493
Hope123 wrote:

The government is built on tradition, process, procedure, and the norm and he has used them all as weapons by breaking them, and as a result, breaking government. By ignoring all of the things that make government run, he has shown that there are simply no repercussions as long as you fill the necessary offices with people who will not hold you accountable. Any real President who have been held accountable by the checks and balances built into government, but by subverting the safety checks built into everything the government does, he has shown that there is no one to hold him accountable or to punish him.

This is why I've been yammering on and on and on about the Democratic party not being strong enough to fix this. They have been equal partners with the repug party leadership in creating the situation we are in.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:06:04 AM

'It's Dangerous To Delay' Transition, Democratic White House Veteran Podesta Says
November 12, 2020 3:38 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-2020-election-results/2020/11/12/934218529/its-dangerous-to-delay-transition-democratic-white-house-veteran-podesta-says

The Trump administration's stonewalling of President-elect Joe Biden's transition team poses a serious risk to the U.S. – particularly during a deadly crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic, according to John Podesta, who co-chaired former President Barack Obama's transition team from 2007-8.

"It's dangerous to delay this," Podesta told NPR's Noel King. He cited the incoming administration's need to assess the ongoing response to COVID-19 in the U.S. – the worst-hit country in the world, with nearly 10.5 million cases and an alarming surge in cases and deaths.

Biden's advisory panel needs to know what plans are being made to distribute a potential vaccine as well as the status of efforts at the Department of Health and Human Services, Podesta said.

He also said there are national security implications, including that Biden is talking to world leaders without any guidance from the State Department.

"I think it's just a mess," Podesta said.

Biden's recently announced coronavirus task force needs to get going, said Podesta, noting that when Obama took office in 2008, he was immediately confronted with a global economic crisis.

Biden insists the delay isn't affecting his transition plans — he said this week that the classified information would be nice to have but is not crucial.

More than a week after the Nov. 3 election and five days since Biden was declared the winner, President Trump for now has ordered officials not to cooperate with a transition that is required by federal law. The president has said he won the election, and he is trying to challenge the results with lawsuits falsely alleging voter fraud, most of which have failed.

For the Biden transition team, being able to access up-to-date information and get accurate budget data from agencies – both to find problems and to uncover "land mines" from the exiting Trump administration — "really is essential," Podesta said.

By this time in a normal transition of power, Podesta said, "the president-elect and vice president-elect should have full access to what the statutes of the United States provide for them. That specifically means access to intelligence material."

The Biden camp should also be able to send its people into federal agencies, he added.

[continued]
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 8:01:17 PM

GSA Ascertains Biden's Victory, Democrat To Begin White House Transition Process
November 23, 2020 6:30 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/23/937956178/trump-administration-to-begin-biden-transition-protocols

President-elect Joe Biden can finally, formally begin his transition to power, after the General Services Administration on Monday officially ascertained the Democrat's victory over President Trump.

The news came shortly after Trump, who has still yet to concede in the White House race, tweeted that he was recommending the GSA and others in his administration begin "initial protocols" to kickstart the formal transfer of presidential power.

Quote:
...fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 23, 2020

Emily Murphy, the Trump appointee who heads the GSA, has faced weeks of criticism from Democrats, national security experts and health officials, who argued that delaying the formal transition was hampering the incoming Biden administration from getting up to speed on the response to the coronavirus pandemic and jeopardizing national security. A handful of GOP lawmakers also called for the Murphy to allow the transition to get underway.

In a "letter of ascertainment" to Biden, Murphy wrote that she was now making available resources for his campaign to begin the transition process.

"As you know, the GSA Administrator does not pick or certify the winner of a presidential election. Instead, the GSA Administrator's role under the Act is extremely narrow: to make resources and services available in connection with a presidential transition," Murphy wrote.

"As stated, because of recent developments involving legal challenges and certifications of election results, I have determined that you may access the post-election resources and services described in Section 3 of the Act upon request. The actual winner of the presidential election will be determined by the electoral process detailed in the Constitution."

Murphy said that she had reached the decision to release the funds and information independently, contradicting the president's tweet that he had directed her to make the decision.

"Please know that I came to my decision independently, based on the law and available facts. I was never directly or indirectly pressured by any Executive Branch official—including those who work at the White House or GSA—with regard to the substance or timing of my decision. To be clear, I did not receive any direction to delay my determination," she wrote.

"Contrary to media reports and insinuations, my decision was not made out of fear or favoritism. Instead, I strongly believe that the statute requires that the GSA Administrator ascertain, not impose, the apparent president-elect."

The Biden-Harris transition team confirmed that Murphy had officially ascertained Biden and Vice-President-elect Kamala Harris as the "apparent winners of the election."

[continued]
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:00:47 AM

Neurons: 652,440
Time will tell what JB can do, does it make any difference if he takes over today or in a few weeks, he has Covid to handle and this time it's a total reverse of thoughts, let's see...