mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Stimulus Checks Options
KMQ
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:36:03 AM

Neurons: 731,980
It's okay for the first lady to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a bedroom on Airforce One, but American citizens can't get any relief from the lack of work and financial hardships by issuing another stimulus check. Where is the justice in that?
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:58:56 AM

Neurons: 1,247,910
Are you concerned with the grammar of your statement and question? The Politics section is where people usually go to bash the US in general, and the Trumps in particular. You will find plenty of support there, if that is your intent.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 11:07:51 AM

Neurons: 69,802
KMQ wrote:
It's okay for the first lady to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a bedroom on Airforce One, but American citizens can't get any relief from the lack of work and financial hardships by issuing another stimulus check. Where is the justice in that?

If you demand or expect that every citizen be treated fairly by life and have justice be perfect for every person, you will be waiting a very long time. Life isn't fair, and justice isn't perfect. We simply have to do the best we can and let the rest be a goal we try to achieve. Anything more than that is an impossible fantasy.
Romany
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 1:26:55 PM

Neurons: 58,236

Hello KMQ -

As Wilmar says: There is a Politics section on the TFD Forum.

The Grammar and Vocabulary sections have evolved into areas used by learners or those who love the English language, to talk solely about linguistic matters.

This is an International forum as you've probably noticed already, and none of our Learners are American - and every country has their own problems ( I'm sure you've heard about ours in the UK!). Squabbling people bringing American politics outside of the Politics section doesn't do much for a spirit of friendly concern. Besides, most learners English doesn't operate at that level anyway.

So yeah - go for it, express whatever opinion you want to express: not getting on your case. - Just explaining that, like Fight Club, what happens in Politics stays in Politics.Whistle

And trying to do so as pacifically as possible.

thar
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 1:38:32 PM

Neurons: 93,553
Not having 'stimulus check' as part of my common vocabulary, and seeing it spelt that way (admittedly much more logically than "cheque" - İ always try and put a "c" in that) İ was thinking it was about something that stops a stimulus. Which seems rather against the whole point of it. Whistle
Romany
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:07:50 PM

Neurons: 58,236

Thar -

I too had no point of reference for the phrase, and also read "check" as you did. But, preceded by the world 'stimulus' my misunderstanding was far more earthy than yours.