mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
I need vocabulary to describe this photo Options
alpacinoutd
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 8:26:44 AM

Neurons: 76
Hello all.

I'm a very avid English learner. I try to use English to describe the things that I see with beautiful, colorful words. I also write short stories for myself.

Now, I'm trying to describe a place which has many windows with differing colors. This picture will give you an idea:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MftslAXP2iI/maxresdefault.jpg

How can I express the idea that the color of sunlight changes as it goes through the windows? I mean I'm looking for an interesting way of expressing that.

This is my version:

She had an eerie feeling about the place even though it was splendid. Sunlight filtering through the the arched stained windows danced in all the colors of the rainbow.

Please let me know what you think and how you would describe what you see in that photo.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 10:02:02 AM

Neurons: 54,659

Here is your photo alpacinoutd. Welcome to the forum. If you are a learner, you have learned well.

Excellent start but in my opinion you just need more to prepare readers for how gorgeous and beautiful the rich vibrant colours are, the type of architecture, the classical rugs and how the pattern of some of it lit up. Etc. You could write a whole paragraph and still not capture the beauty without seeing the photo.

It did not give me an eerie feeling but one of splendour, awe, respect, and quiet sanctity.

I don't know of a specific word for refracted "coloured" light other than gorgeous, beautiful etc. but I like your word "danced".

I'm sure others will have some excellent suggestions for adjectives for you as well.

Edited - https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2010/oct/29/science-magic-stained-glass

They call it 'heavenly illumination' in the article in the above link and there may be other words you find in the article too - I didn't read it. 'Multicoloured' and 'white radiance of eternity' stood out at a glance.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 12:27:40 PM

Neurons: 68,757
I agree that painting a picture of that scene with words would require a great amount descriptive imagery.

You would first have to set the scene describing the long passageway of twin columns, the thick walls to the left with arched tops, the stained glass patterning of the windows between the arched columns.

You would need to mention the arching, spider-webbed, structural bracing of the ceiling, the bronze fixtures hanging from the open center of the passageway, and the long row of ornately designed cylindrical columns on your right with spirals carved into them from top to bottom.

Then finally, the prism-like effect of the stained glass windows as the sunlight passed through it from left to right, splashing thirty degree beams of brilliantly colored light across the row of columns and floor to your right, and the wall at the end.
alpacinoutd
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 1:13:46 PM

Hope123 wrote:

Here is your photo alpacinoutd. Welcome to the forum. If you are a learner, you have learned well.

Excellent start but in my opinion you just need more to prepare readers for how gorgeous and beautiful the rich vibrant colours are, the type of architecture, the classical rugs and how the pattern of some of it lit up. Etc. You could write a whole paragraph and still not capture the beauty without seeing the photo.

It did not give me an eerie feeling but one of splendour, awe, respect, and quiet sanctity.

I don't know of a specific word for refracted "coloured" light other than gorgeous, beautiful etc. but I like your word "danced".

I'm sure others will have some excellent suggestions for adjectives for you as well.

Edited - https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2010/oct/29/science-magic-stained-glass

They call it 'heavenly illumination' in the article in the above link and there may be other words you find in the article too - I didn't read it. 'Multicoloured' and 'white radiance of eternity' stood out at a glance.

Thanks a lot. Your words are very useful.
alpacinoutd
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 1:14:58 PM

FounDit wrote:
I agree that painting a picture of that scene with words would require a great amount descriptive imagery.

You would first have to set the scene describing the long passageway of twin columns, the thick walls to the left with arched tops, the stained glass patterning of the windows between the arched columns.

You would need to mention the arching, spider-webbed, structural bracing of the ceiling, the bronze fixtures hanging from the open center of the passageway, and the long row of ornately designed cylindrical columns on your right with spirals carved into them from top to bottom.

Then finally, the prism-like effect of the stained glass windows as the sunlight passed through it from left to right, splashing thirty degree beams of brilliantly colored light across the row of columns and floor to your right, and the wall at the end.

Wow! I'm liking this forum already.

So, would you have a go at it and describe it with the words you mentioned? I would appreciate that.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 5:14:50 PM

Neurons: 57,358

You did say in the original question that you wanted to describe the light from the windows?

Then I wouldn't spend too much time describing the rest of it? It is, after all, a standard design: vaulted arches (though very delicately-wrought ones), supported by thick pillars. No-one would have any difficulty in "seeing" that with the mind's eye.

What makes it both awe-inspiring and unique are the stained-glass windows.

But again, stained-glass windows aren't in any way unusual. Are these? Not really: in fact just a very simple lozenge design that's causing all this riot of colour.

It's because of the obviously deliberate way in which the arches have been engraved, and the carpets laid.

So, in order to keep your focus on WHAT it is you want to communicate, it's always a good idea to narrow it down to exactly what it was that first struck you. I would imagine, as one walked into that space, it would be the kaleidoscopic effect of those bold, almost abstract, pools and splashes and carelessly smudged colours, yes?

So why was this so extraordinary? Because rather than falling on to flat, reflective floors, the colours get swirled around the engraved pillars and reel off dizzily onto the highly-coloured woven carpet.

So then you know you have to describe exuberant colour, deliberately diffused from the sharp outlines of the panes. Which, I should imagine, is what overwhelms every person who sees it, wouldn't you?

This narrowing of focus often helps you to actually feel what it was you felt - or at least remember it. And then you'll find you don't have to 'borrow' suggested words. Because you'll be able to recall what excited/impressed you so much: - and you'll have more of an idea of what words you need to express yourself.

*(And what would blow me away was that it was such ingenious technology crafted by human hands. For no other reason than to provide beauty to the world!)

alpacinoutd
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 5:33:16 PM

Romany wrote:

You did say in the original question that you wanted to describe the light from the windows?

Then I wouldn't spend too much time describing the rest of it? It is, after all, a standard design: vaulted arches (though very delicately-wrought ones), supported by thick pillars. No-one would have any difficulty in "seeing" that with the mind's eye.

What makes it both awe-inspiring and unique are the stained-glass windows.

But again, stained-glass windows aren't in any way unusual. Are these? Not really: in fact just a very simple lozenge design that's causing all this riot of colour.

It's because of the obviously deliberate way in which the arches have been engraved, and the carpets laid.

So, in order to keep your focus on WHAT it is you want to communicate, it's always a good idea to narrow it down to exactly what it was that first struck you. I would imagine, as one walked into that space, it would be the kaleidoscopic effect of those bold, almost abstract, pools and splashes and carelessly smudged colours, yes?

So why was this so extraordinary? Because rather than falling on to flat, reflective floors, the colours get swirled around the engraved pillars and reel off dizzily onto the highly-coloured woven carpet.

So then you know you have to describe exuberant colour, deliberately diffused from the sharp outlines of the panes. Which, I should imagine, is what overwhelms every person who sees it, wouldn't you?

This narrowing of focus often helps you to actually feel what it was you felt - or at least remember it. And then you'll find you don't have to 'borrow' suggested words. Because you'll be able to recall what excited/impressed you so much: - and you'll have more of an idea of what words you need to express yourself.

*(And what would blow me away was that it was such ingenious technology crafted by human hands. For no other reason than to provide beauty to the world!)

I wish this forum had a thank you button. I would press it a lot of times.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 12:14:53 AM

alpacinoutd wrote:
FounDit wrote:

Wow! I'm liking this forum already.

So, would you have a go at it and describe it with the words you mentioned? I would appreciate that.

I'm afraid it would be quite long, and would be in my words rather than yours. That wouldn't be all that helpful to you, I think. I was just trying to give you some ideas to expand upon.

You could add to what I offered, mentioning the column color, its change in shape as it rises upward into the vaulted ceiling above with the individual paintings in each panel.

The idea is to provide enough detail, but not so much that your reader gets lost in it and wants to move on. That's the art of writing. The best teachers are some of the best known writers. If you read a lot, you will learn a lot.
alpacinoutd
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 5:24:11 AM

FounDit wrote:

I'm afraid it would be quite long, and would be in my words rather than yours. That wouldn't be all that helpful to you, I think. I was just trying to give you some ideas to expand upon.

You could add to what I offered, mentioning the column color, its change in shape as it rises upward into the vaulted ceiling above with the individual paintings in each panel.

The idea is to provide enough detail, but not so much that your reader gets lost in it and wants to move on. That's the art of writing. The best teachers are some of the best known writers. If you read a lot, you will learn a lot.

Honestly, I want to read your version just to enjoy it. I will certainly work on my version but it'd be a treat to read your version as well.
So, if you feel like it, I would really appreciate it.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 11:24:20 AM

alpacinoutd wrote:
FounDit wrote:

Honestly, I want to read your version just to enjoy it. I will certainly work on my version but it'd be a treat to read your version as well.
So, if you feel like it, I would really appreciate it.

Well, okay, if you like. But rather than create a very long and detailed post here, I'll work on it when I have some time and send it to you in a PM.
alpacinoutd
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2020 3:19:03 PM

FounDit wrote:

Well, okay, if you like. But rather than create a very long and detailed post here, I'll work on it when I have some time and send it to you in a PM.

I'm looking forward to it.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 10:34:36 AM

alpacinoutd wrote:
FounDit wrote:

I'm looking forward to it.

I did a first draft last night and it turned out a bit shorter than I anticipated. Check your inbox.
alpacinoutd
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 5:49:49 AM

It was a superb piece of writing.

FounDit wrote:

I did a first draft last night and it turned out a bit shorter than I anticipated. Check your inbox.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 11:26:19 AM

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it...Dancing