mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Alfred Jewel Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,704
The Alfred Jewel

The Alfred Jewel is a 9th-century Anglo-Saxon ornament made during the reign of King Alfred the Great. Discovered in 1693, the teardrop-shaped ornament consists of a colorful enamel image of a man covered with a clear, polished piece of crystal and set in gold. Its purpose is unknown, but it was probably attached to a rod at one time. Words around the edge read "AELFRED MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN"—meaning "Alfred ordered me made"—yet the man portrayed in the center of the object is not Alfred. Who is it? More...
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:10:33 AM

Neurons: 1,058,220
The Alfred Jewel is one of the most celebrated objects surviving from Anglo-Saxon England. Inscribed +ÆFLRED MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN (‘Alfred ordered me to be made’), it was found in 1693 at North Petherton, a few miles from King Alfred’s fortress and monastery at Athelney, in Somerset. Given its quality, find spot and inscription, it is hard to resist the assumption that it was commissioned by Alfred the Great.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/alfred-jewel
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 8:04:30 AM

Neurons: 379,050
The Alfred Jewel

The Alfred Jewel is a 9th-century Anglo-Saxon ornament made during the reign of King Alfred the Great. Discovered in 1693, the teardrop-shaped ornament consists of a colorful enamel image of a man covered with a clear, polished piece of crystal and set in gold. Its purpose is unknown, but it was probably attached to a rod at one time. Words around the edge read "AELFRED MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN"—meaning "Alfred ordered me made"—yet the man portrayed in the center of the object is not Alfred. Who is it? More...
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 8:28:05 AM

Neurons: 1,198,187

The Alfred Jewel is a 9th-century Anglo-Saxon ornament made during the reign of King Alfred the Great. Discovered in 1693, the teardrop-shaped ornament consists of a colorful enamel image of a man covered with a clear, polished piece of crystal and set in gold. Its purpose is unknown, but it was probably attached to a rod at one time. Words around the edge read "AELFRED MEC HEHT GEWYRCAN"—meaning "Alfred ordered me made"—yet the man portrayed in the center of the object is not Alfred.