mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Grammarly thoughts? Options
stevejones1981
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 9:13:47 AM

Neurons: 15
I like to write, for both personal reasons and I do some helping with websites.

I am nowhere near a Grad student-level English writer, but I don't think I am too bad. (I'm sure that I will be told otherwise from this thread. :) )

While I am writing, I tend to just go with the flow, writing the words as they come to me and as they made sense at the moment. However, I always go back and use my paid version of Grammarly to check the work. There are issues with it, but what do you guys/girls think of it as a general way to check my "work"?

Thanks in advance.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 9:39:38 AM

Neurons: 1,198,187
guys/girls?
lazarius
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 11:47:54 AM

Neurons: 1,016,214
stevejones1981 wrote:
I always go back and use my paid version of Grammarly to check the work

There are a few mistakes that we, Russians, make very often - I would call them Russian mistakes.

I've tried Grammarly to find out if it can help a Russian student of the English language. It failed.

I wouldn't pay a penny for it.

-
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 12:42:58 PM

Neurons: 478,554
I've been using Grammarly for a couple of years now and am quite addicted. I use it for my work and personal email and when writing technical documentation. It even comes in quite handy in forums like this. I see it as more of a guide than anything and I'll ignore suggestions (unless it's a glaring spelling error) fairly often.
Matthew Anderson 1
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:07:13 PM

Neurons: 3
I am an older guy that has returned to college, and I use Premium Grammarly every day (and have for 3-4 years).

I like to write for personal reasons, but school has put a higher demand on my writing skills. I am always working to improve it. Grammarly is an excellent tool to catch errors and typos that are otherwise missed while writing or even on a second or third reading.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the criticism that Grammarly is not worth the money. Grammarly is merely a tool that we use with the presumption that we already know and write in English (It is not a substitute for learning to write in English).

That said, for me, Grammarly is an excellent tool to highlight possible errors and suggest corrections. Since I am the writer, not Grammarly, I ultimately decide whether I use a Grammarly suggestion, rewrite a phrase, or leave it as is because I wrote it precisely as I intended. (Grammarly already made several suggestions as I was writing this that I dismissed!)

Grammarly can be a terrific enhancement (not replacement) of anybody's writing. It is an aid that will give an immediate quality boost to a writer's finished work, improving writing skills over time.

If one frequently writes on a computer, emails, even social media posts, Grammarly is worth every penny!
lazarius
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:38:57 AM

Neurons: 1,016,214
Matthew Anderson 1 wrote:
Grammarly is merely a tool that we use with the presumption that we already know and write in English

If one doesn't have problems with grammar, one will not need a grammar checker.

If one does have problems, one will need a tool that can pinpoint his problems. Grammarly is not this sort of tool.

-