mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
being Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:19:05 AM

Neurons: 18,922
This could prevent people being given a positive result based on an old infection.

But Prof Heneghan, the academic who spotted a quirk in how deaths were being recorded, which led Public Health England to reform its system, says evidence suggests coronavirus "infectivity appears to decline after about a week".
Coronavirus: Tests 'could be picking up dead virus'
Please explain the use of "being" in both highlighted parts.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:25:48 AM

Neurons: 68,876
Jigneshbharati wrote:
This could prevent people being given a positive result based on an old infection.
If someone is told they have tested positive, then that action is the "being given". The same is true if they are handed a paper that says they are positive. The act of handing the person the paper is "being given".

But Prof Heneghan, the academic who spotted a quirk in how deaths were being recorded, which led Public Health England to reform its system, says evidence suggests coronavirus "infectivity appears to decline after about a week".

Here again, it is the action of recording the information in whatever form is used. If a cat kills a mouse and begins to eat it, the mouse is "being eaten" by the cat. So "being" with a verb shows the action of the verb.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:34:01 AM

Is it the passive construction? Is "being" used to show the present simple or the present continuous tense? How do we recognise them in my example?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:51:03 AM

Neurons: 68,876
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Is it the passive construction? Is "being" used to show the present simple or the present continuous tense? How do we recognise them in my example?

I'm not a grammar expert, but I would call it passive in that it is happening to people. And since the news is given to a number of people over time, or the records have been written over time, I would say it is continuous.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:54:50 AM

Thanks
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 12:05:47 PM

I am really sorry but I can't figure out the use of "were recorded vs were being recorded" in my example.
I know the basics of both the tenses but somehow I am unable to understand which one should be used and why.
I really appreciate your help!
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:03:18 PM

Neurons: 1,283,319
Jigneshbharati wrote:
I am really sorry but I can't figure out the use of "were recorded vs were being recorded" in my example.
I know the basics of both the tenses but somehow I am unable to understand which one should be used and why.
I really appreciate your help!

Past simple active: People recorded deaths.
Past simple passive: Deaths were recorded (by people).

Past continuous active: People were recording deaths.
Past continuous passive: Deaths were being recorded (by people).
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 9:13:37 PM

Thanks. Why the past continuous is used and not the simple past in the original?
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2020 11:29:25 PM

Neurons: 1,283,319
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks. Why the past continuous is used and not the simple past in the original?

I don't think I can add anything to FounDit's explanations above.
georgew
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:15:13 AM

Neurons: 1,924
Jigneshbharati wrote:

I think you meant "Why is the past continuous used and not the simple past in the original?"

If you're unable to properly structure a question in simple English, you're wasting your time asking such lofty esoteric grammar questions.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:51:36 AM

Thank you!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 2:00:27 AM

georgew wrote:
Jigneshbharati wrote:

I think you meant "Why is the past continuous used and not the simple past in the original?"

If you're unable to properly structure a question in simple English, you're wasting your time asking such lofty esoteric grammar questions.

Thanks a lot for your advice and words of wisdom!
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 3:18:06 AM

Neurons: 452,814
Jigneshbharati wrote:

Let me try to answer your doubts.

Your sentence is: This could prevent people being given a positive result based on an old infection.

= The reforms in the (diagnostic) system could prevent people from being given a positive result based on an old infection.

Question 1: Is it the passive construction? Is "being" used to show the present simple or the present continuous tense? How do we recognise them in my example?

Comment: In the given sentence, the use of "being given" is passive in nature. Who are diagnosing the people "positive". The answer is the "diagnostic labs". This confirms the passive use of "being given". This sense in active voice is conveyed by:

- The diagnostic labs are giving a positive result to people because they are found to have an old infection.

The pronoun "this" refers to the reforms in the diagnosis suggested in the earlier sentence (not mentioned here)that could prevent such inaccuracies in diagnosis.

It should be clear, that the activity of giving positive results is an ongoing process at the time of making this assertion. So, the use of "being given" is present continuous.

Question 2: Why the past continuous is used and not the simple past in the original?

Comment: In passive voice, the past participle is used. The sentence refers to a situation connected with the present. "Being given" is derived from active voice verb pattern "are giving". The verbs in the sentence do not pertain to simple past or past continuous. The verbs in the sentence are "could prevent", "being given" and "based". "Based" is a reduced form of "that are based". So, the three verb groups are not in simple past or past continuous. The use of "could prevent" pertains to the present period ("now" extending into the immediate future). If the sentence pertains to a past event, "could prevent" should be replaced by "prevented". The verb pattern "could be prevented" can also be used to talk about the past. However, its use to talk about a past situation is possible if the subsequent part of the sentence is modified suitably.

I hope it helps.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 3:24:45 AM

Thank you so much!