mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Natural foods for a healthy diet Options
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:57:38 AM

Neurons: 6,040
What foods are readers eating for a better diet. I'm eating a mountain of salmon and a river of tuna. Plus the obvious fruits and vegetables. But which are the foods I should really really be eating.
Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:58:57 AM

Neurons: 18,102
Well, eating mountains and rivers of fish, you may want to look up mercury poisoning. There have been several high-profile cases of late where avid fish eaters had to slow down on their consumption due to the accumulation of mercury. But as I don't eat fish (can't stand it...LOVE seafood/shellfish, however), I don't know a great deal about it. Other than that, the fish is great for you for multiple reasons, as you know.

The fresh fruit and veggies should, ideally, come from your garden or a farmer's market, definitely, but given most of us can't always get to that, the supermarkets will do just fine. Try to avoid overprocessed foods and get back to the more pure foods. Go for olive oils and the Smart Omega oils, and canola oil is supposed to be pretty healthy. I actually prefer those, along with some real butter and real dairy products. Get back to basics. I'm a low-carber for multiple health reasons, so I eat real meat, real cream, and real butter (albeit, in moderate/healthy amounts) and my cholesterol has never been better (HDL of 90), even with a family history of high cholesterol.

If you can start cutting back on the sodium (in everything) and sugar (you'd be amazed how much sugar is in the products we eat), you'll start feeling better too. If you want to cut back on your sugar consumption without giving up sweets, try adding some Stevia to your diet. It's a natural sugar (not a chem-synth) with limited impact on blood sugar. You can still have real sugar, but Stevia can give you extra sweetness without the sugar impact. :) And hey, if you want real sugar, skip the white granular and go for Pure Cane Sugar/organic sugars. That stuff kicks white granular's tiny white behind like nobody's business. And the added bonus is it's less overprocessed.

The best thing I could recommend beyond this is to try to include some probiotics in your diet. Kefir is a fermented milk drink (Lifeway brand is carried in my local Kroger's) and tastes like a sort of tangy cross between milk and yoghurt. As a non-yoghurty person, even I can drink this stuff. It also mixes really nicely for protein drinks and smoothies.

There are a lot of good products and recipes out there, easy things, to start eating better. You can still have bread and pasta (try Nature's Own for lower sugar/higher fiber bread and Dreamfields for lower carb/glycemic pasta and both are very good). CarbCountdown has a low-carb/low-sugar milk that tastes like real milk and my sister, who is allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant, but a true milk protein allergy) drinks this.

*thinks* If you want more specific ideas, ask what it is you want to eat/cook and I'll throw out some ideas on it. :) Well, if you liked any of these ideas, anyway.
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:55:41 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I like vanilla yogurt with sliced fresh strawberries. I put blueberries and 1/2 of banana on my cereal. I walk twice a day with an apple. I like Pritikin vegetarian vegetable soup. I do go to the farmers market in my city. I have mostly chicken and fish (NOT fried). Sometime I eat one carrot while I am walking.
vee1534
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:51:33 AM

Neurons: 249
Doncha just wonder how anyone survives in the Third World, darlink?
MiTziGo
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:12:00 AM

Neurons: 6,142
Oh, all those poor sea kittens!
xsmith
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:06:53 PM

Neurons: 4,497
Cruciferous veggies: collards, kale, mustards, broccoli, cauliflower, green cabbage

Fruits and veggies that contain beta carotene: carrots, yellow squash, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, beets

shitake mushroom, tofu

whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oatmeal

salad greens: baby spinach, arugula, red cabbage, bibb lettuce

walnuts, cashews, almonds, Brazil nuts
cleopatra clover
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:52:56 AM

Neurons: 999
xsmith wrote:
Cruciferous veggies: collards, kale, mustards, broccoli, cauliflower, green cabbage

Fruits and veggies that contain beta carotene: carrots, yellow squash, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, beets

shitake mushroom, tofu

whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oatmeal

salad greens: baby spinach, arugula, red cabbage, bibb lettuce

walnuts, cashews, almonds, Brazil nuts

Oh yes, those sure are healthy foods, as long as you're eating the right amount. Because, as you know, if you consume more than you should, it will turn out to be bad for you after all. - cleopatra
fred
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:12:30 AM

Neurons: 4,457
Right now I'm eating a "premium blend of cranberries, almonds, raisons,

oh and the women will like this one... Dark Chocolate".

Trans fat free
Cholesterol free
Very low sodium
Good source of antioxidant Vitamin E

ANN'S HOUSE
Chocolate Nut Antioxidant
bugdoctor
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:59:58 AM

Neurons: 5,456
I load up on protein (lots of fish and chicken with a good ribeye thrown in on regular occasions), with healthy amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables. I avoid 'organic' when possible because it costs a ton and is no safer than traditionally grown foods. In fact, some of the pesticides cleared for 'organic' use are pretty scary.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:04:06 PM

I eat a lot of vegetables and salads (especially local salad) which I think is difficult to find elsewhere; and I don't even know the names in English, if there's any. Besides that, protein for sure and mostly from fish and chicken (without skin).
grammargeek
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:24:03 PM

Neurons: 33,836
MichalG wrote:
Oh, all those poor sea kittens!

Yes MichalG, such a tale of woe. We mustn't forget those adorable sea kittens! What color of plush would you like?

(Do you know how/where I can find that thread again, BTW?)
fred
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:21:48 PM

These past 10 years, I've been eating very little beef. Not out of force, simply because I don't have that appetite. When I do eat red meat, it is buffalo... less fat and a sweeter less grizzled taste. This meat is VERY good in red spaghetti sauce.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 10:33:51 AM

Thanks Fred, this is something new that I learnt; buffalo meat is very good in red spaghetti sauce. I usually use beef.
fred
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 3:22:38 PM

cleopatra clover wrote:
Thanks Fred, this is something new that I learnt; buffalo meat is very good in red spaghetti sauce. I usually use beef.

I would like you to know that cooking buffalo requires less time than beef because of the lower fat content (easier to burn).
cleopatra clover
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:41:10 AM

Thanks again Fred; seems that you do know a lot about cooking.

Anyway, doing our own cooking is better than eating out in restaurants. Although occasionally, I do bring my children out for lunch or dinner. We can control the amount of the ingredients use in our everyday cooking, espeacially 'oil'. I am using less oil, salt and sugar now...and also less coconut milk....those are few of the main ingredients use in Malaysian cooking.
HarveySmith
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:06:41 AM

Neurons: 30
1: Salmon
This type of fish is great for burning fat as it is high in protein, and best of all, rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Essential means that it cannot be produced naturally in the body so in order to get it you must obtain these fats through your diet. It also has a good ratio of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which makes it well balanced. Another health benefit of this combination is that it reduces the risk of joint inflammation. In addition, these fats help our immune and circulatory systems.
2: Oatmeal
My personal choice for breakfast is oatmeal. This food not only tastes great but can really help boost your metabolism. Oatmeal contains good fats and it is a source of low glycemic carbohydrates. Low glycemic carbohydrates are crucial for helping to incinerate your belly fat as they give you time released energy and help you to store glycogen.
3: Vegetables
A fact that many people do not know about vegetables is the negative calories that they contain. It takes more calories to digest the vegetables than the calories that they provide you with. The reason for this is the high fiber content; it takes calories to process so much fiber; so many that the body ends up burning more calories than what it gets from this food source.
4: Nuts
A great addition and snack that can be added to your diet is nuts such as cashews, almonds and walnuts. If you do not go crazy overeating nuts, you can benefit from eating them. Not only are nuts high in fiber and contain good fats, but they are high in antioxidants such as vitamin E and selenium.
5: Flax Seed & Fish Oils
Flaxseed and fish oils are great food supplements for anybody to take. These oils contain omega-3 fatty acids, which help to speed up your metabolism.
intelfam
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:38:59 AM

Neurons: 3,284
All this great advice - thank you folks, I shall be following up on the tips, myself.
Getting back to the OP though. Can I suggest that, before embarking on a radically different diet, you either talk to your physician about, or do some research around, any pre-existing conditions or health problems you might have? Not that any of the suggestions so far would do you any harm. I have no catastrophe story to relate as a reason for suggesting this - just a thought. For all sorts of reasons I am at risk of low bone density - and, as an amateur, I shoved up my yogurt and other dairy food intake to get more calcium. I also was told I was at risk of heart and circulatory probs - Olive oil, Vit E! The endocrinologist was happy with that, cholesterol figures brilliant. Now my PSA has shot up and what is the research saying "Dairy and Vit E supplements are correlated with aggressive prostate cancer"! I'm a bit glad that I have been sceptical about overdoing any supplement or food item in the hope of completely avoiding trouble (as some merchants have suggested) - in the end we can't cheat the grim reaper, but we can postpone his call by sensible eating like folk have described. As I said, just a thought.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:38:33 AM

Neurons: 92,574
Also, remember food is great, enjoy it! The bit in the news forum makes it official - being happy is good for you.

Moderation in all things, including moderation!
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:26:08 AM

Neurons: 3,887
Certainly.

You are right -all things in moderation, and moderation in all things. Do not overindulge in anything, including fasting (i.e., 'having too much of nothing').

[Ne quid nimis: "Nothing too much" - 'moderation in all thing' (Terence)]