mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
After saying something... Options
Dukul
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 2:23:55 AM

Neurons: 5,552
Do these have the same meaning? What would be the best version in your opinion?

▪After saying something, I sit, look at the water and drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst.

▪After saying something, I look at the water and drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst while sitting (down) .

▪After saying something and looking at the water, I drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst while sitting (down).

▪After saying something, I sit and use my right hand to drink water to quench my thirst, stopping 3 times to take a breath and look at it (OR and look at the water).

NB: The reason of using "in three bretahs" is that I am pausing three times to take breath while drinking water. Is there any better phrase that I can use instead of it for sounding more natural?
pjharvey
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 8:16:04 AM

Neurons: 72,767
Well then, none of these sounds natural at all, unless it's the answer to a silly question such us "What do you usually do after saying something, when being thirsty and standing by a pond?".

It would be more natural if in the past and stating what you said.
"After saying "Wait, I'm thirsty" I sat down, had a look at the water (to check its cleanliness), then drank it with my right hand to quench my thirst, pausing three times for breath".

However, I am no native speaker - let's wait for their ideas on this.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 3:56:50 PM

Neurons: 68,876
Dukul wrote:
Do these have the same meaning? What would be the best version in your opinion?

▪After saying something, I sit, look at the water and drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst.

▪After saying something, I look at the water and drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst while sitting (down) .

▪After saying something and looking at the water, I drink it using my right hand in three breaths to quench my thirst while sitting (down).

▪After saying something, I sit and use my right hand to drink water to quench my thirst, stopping 3 times to take a breath and look at it (OR and look at the water).

NB: The reason of using "in three bretahs" is that I am pausing three times to take breath while drinking water. Is there any better phrase that I can use instead of it for sounding more natural?

As pjharvey says, none of these sound natural. This could be worded several ways, and this is just my opinion, but I'd say it like this:

After speaking, I drank from the water in my hand, pausing three times to take a breath before finishing it.

Or,

After speaking, I felt thirsty and drank the water I was holding in my right hand, pausing for a breath three times.

These are just two options.