mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
little donny = narcissistic jackass Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 12:12:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/26/2014
Posts: 1,131
Neurons: 1,401,150
Trump Criticizes Late Rep. John Lewis For Not Attending Inauguration
August 4, 2020 2:25 PM ET


https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/08/04/898987316/trump-criticizes-late-rep-john-lewis-for-not-attending-inauguration

President Trump declined to praise the late Rep. John Lewis in an interview with Axios on HBO, claiming that he himself had done more for the Black community than anyone else. And Trump criticized the civil rights icon's decision not to attend his 2017 presidential inauguration.

When asked in the interview, which aired Monday evening, how history would remember the Georgia lawmaker who died last month, Trump said: "I don't know. I really don't know.

"I don't know John Lewis. He chose not to come to my inauguration. ... I never met John Lewis actually, I don't believe," Trump said.

Pressed whether he was impressed by the late congressman, who was born into a family of sharecroppers and worked his way to becoming one of the most influential leaders in the civil rights movement before being elected to Congress, Trump deferred.

"I find a lot of people impressive. I find many people not impressive," Trump said. "He didn't come to my inauguration. He didn't come to my State of the Union speeches. And that's OK, that's his right. And again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have. He should've come. I think he made a big mistake.

"He was a person that devoted a lot of energy and lot of heart to civil rights. But there were many others also."

Condemnation of Trump's remarks was swift and severe on Tuesday.

"He's delusional. He's a narcissist, and he is delusional," Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said in an interview with CNN.

"He's done nothing for African Americans in this country, and to speak that in the same sentence as speaking of John Lewis is almost blasphemous," she said.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:07:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 13,141
Neurons: 619,178
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
I am no supporter of Donald Trump but I dislike the 'Little Donny' tag. It is petty, boring, and a sad reflection on American values. Give it a rest, please.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:59:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/2016
Posts: 2,585
Neurons: 159,074
Location: South Dublin, Ireland
A certain woman recently accused by her husband of attempted abortion of their daughter has done a great deal of good for people of African origin. In my eyes from Europe, the late Rep. John Lewis is nobody, contrary to this woman. Her name is Kim.
jj.smith
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 6:12:12 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/26/2016
Posts: 37
Neurons: 20,547
jacobusmaximus wrote:
I am no supporter of Donald Trump but I dislike the 'Little Donny' tag. It is petty, boring, and a sad reflection on American values. Give it a rest, please.


Donald Trump is a small man.
Elvandil
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 6:46:11 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/5/2014
Posts: 339
Neurons: 150,707
Location: East Montpelier, Vermont, United States
jj.smith wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
I am no supporter of Donald Trump but I dislike the 'Little Donny' tag. It is petty, boring, and a sad reflection on American values. Give it a rest, please.


Donald Trump is a small man.


"Little Donny" gives him too much respect. It's like naming mold.

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 2:12:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,189
Neurons: 679,819
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
In my opinion, just call him president Trump. That's what he is, after all. It's not like naming him properly is going to erase all the stuff he does on a daily basis - it's right there on his Twitter feed and in pretty much every news source on the planet.

No need to stoop to the level of the man himself by finding 'crooked Hillary' equivalents.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 7:30:58 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 17,562
Neurons: 56,763
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I guess it's easy for us non-Americans to instruct Americans on how to refer to their own President - because he's not directly killing US (yet), nor turning our countries into battle grounds, or depriving our children of a sustainable future.

I know that, were he doing so, I'd have a lot more things to call him other than "Little". "Mister" is an Honourific and I'm damned if I'd bestow it upon he who has no Honour! ('Mister Pol Pot'? 'Mr. Hitler?') And "President" for a corrupt and vicious tyrant who has - lest we all forget - already been impeached is, to me, both meaningless and degrading to the Office!

Oscar doesn't go off into unhinged diatribes; he doesn't attack other posters; he presents published works which are available to anyone with a computer in order to make his points. Under the circumstances of living in a dystopian clusterfuck I'm, in fact, quite impressed with the restraint of a "Little Donny" - in fact it could be seen as quite a cute little Nickname! Better, in fact, than the "BoJo" with which our Prime Ministers is crowned - which deliberately makes him sound like a circus clown!!

So that's my two penn'orth.

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 9:35:50 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,189
Neurons: 679,819
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
In my opinion, I prefer to refer to him by his name or by his title, because he is a president. He was elected. You can argue with the system of election and with him not acting the part - and I would agree on both of those points - but, for me, calling him president highlights the fact that the system is flawed for allowing someone like him gain and maintain the title.

Using his own brand of nicknames against him only gives him something to lash out at. And this president is someone who needs an enemy to fight. That's why he can't handle Covid-19 - an epidemic doesn't care what a president does to make himself look better. That's why he spins the narrative away from an epidemic and insists that it's a hoax by the democrats. I have no issue referring to the president by his name or title, because I feel like his actions speak volumes and he needs no help painting himself into a corner.

- His quotes in the OP prove that he only looks at other people from the perspective of "how can they benefit me"?
- His previous behaviour of not wearing a mask while making his staff wear them shows me quite clearly he's a man who doesn't care who he infects, only that no one infects him.
- His changing stance on masks makes it evidently clear to me that he cares more about polls than science.
- His time spent advertising beans instead of responding to a healthcare crisis tells me he doesn't care about those people losing their lives, income or home to this epidemic.

Do I think he is a little man who has no respect or empathy for other people, who shows narcissistic tendencies while being blatantly racist, sexist, ableist, self-serving, opportunistic, nepotistic, materialistic, short-sighted, short-tempered and deeply insecure? Yes, absolutely.

But I'll keep calling him president because I think it's shameful that a regulated governmental system can maintain someone like that in such a position. I think it has value reminding us all that people voted this man into office as their representative to the world.

Obviously, this is purely my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to stop calling him Captain Sphincterblossom, Cheetolini or little Don-don. We all need our ways to cope with the situation.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:28:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,475
Neurons: 54,140
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I just call him Trump. Thst's his name and everybody in the world knows he's the worst US president ever.

Digression from OP and the pettiness of Trump not going to Lewis' funeral because he didn't go to Trump's inauguration ( I never heard why Lewis skipped it.)

Twitter removed Trump's tweet because telling people children are immune is false information. So to get his message of lies out, this morning Trump went on Fox News and a fact check of some of what he said is as follows:

Children aren't immune
Virus isn't going away
Testing doesn't cause cases
Germany doesn't owe NATO
Soros doesn't pay Antifa
Trump was left ventilators
Nevada won't let every human vote
Trump didn't do a statues act
Trump didn't do #1 most for Black people

I'll go get the link.






thar
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:24:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 22,677
Neurons: 92,022
Interesting that (barring Rom) most of the people arguing for the simple name are non-US. Now it may be that they (edit - USers) naturally have more intense feelings about this, but I think it is an indication of the breakdown in the whole political discourse there. That non USers have an attitude towards the ideals of political office (however much they might want to change it, and however much they might disagree with those in power) that (the admittedly very small sample of people here on tfd) US posters don't seem to have.

That is not disagreeing with anyone's opinions or politics, just musing upon an interesting bit of data.

I remember saying something similar about a previous name used here, I can't remember what. Something worse than this, I think. A small part of my post was that it seemed to belittle a very serious topic with childish namecalling, and I personally didn't agree with it, and the rest was about the actual topic, but I was hailed as a supporter standing up for his honour - which (I think!) I clearly stated I was not doing - the respect due to the position (or that should have been due to the position, if the system worked at least reasonably) not the holder.
But it got completely misread/misused, so I gave up. (You know I don't usually have the stomach for the politics thread, so I mostly keep out, so it wasn't a hardship to just let it go. It was just funny to see an opinion I thought I had expressed reasonably be so willfully appropriated. d'oh! )
Y111
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:28:46 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 376
Neurons: 1,869
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
Hope123 wrote:
everybody in the world knows he's the worst US president ever.

Why do you think so? He has millions of supporters in the US, and I don't think people outside of it are all that different. Probably a significant part of them would support such a man too.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2020 12:43:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,475
Neurons: 54,140
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
thar wrote:
Interesting that (barring Rom) most of the people arguing for the simple name are non-US. Now it may be that they (edit - USers) naturally have more intense feelings about this, but I think it is an indication of the breakdown in the whole political discourse there. That non USers have an attitude towards the ideals of political office (however much they might want to change it, and however much they might disagree with those in power) that (the admittedly very small sample of people here on tfd) US posters don't seem to have.

That is not disagreeing with anyone's opinions or politics, just musing upon an interesting bit of data.

I remember saying something similar about a previous name used here, I can't remember what. Something worse than this, I think. A small part of my post was that it seemed to belittle a very serious topic with childish namecalling, and I personally didn't agree with it, and the rest was about the actual topic, but I was hailed as a supporter standing up for his honour - which (I think!) I clearly stated I was not doing - the respect due to the position (or that should have been due to the position, if the system worked at least reasonably) not the holder.
But it got completely misread/misused, so I gave up. (You know I don't usually have the stomach for the politics thread, so I mostly keep out, so it wasn't a hardship to just let it go. It was just funny to see an opinion I thought I had expressed reasonably be so willfully appropriated. d'oh! )



Thar, we are hoping that the Politics threads will be much more reasonable and inviting these days, so maybe more people will join in again - and not have that happen to you again or to anybody. ???

I would love to hear and learn about British, European, Asian, Russian, Finnish, Icelandic, etc governments and how they run, politics, even some history. More variety instead of pretty much all American and some Canadian viewpoints thrown in.

I get your point about differing attitudes for respect towards governments and I would suspect even attitudes towards institutions and the establishment. I don't like name calling period but we are all human at times.

I also get how frustrated some Americanss are right now, and how helpless they feel as they see their country changing from a democracy to what ever might happen if Trump gets in again. I feel it too as he has bragged he could ruin Canada if he wanted, and he has already done things to make it difficult for us.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2020 1:05:46 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 9,475
Neurons: 54,140
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Y111 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
everybody in the world knows he's the worst US president ever.

Why do you think so? He has millions of supporters in the US, and I don't think people outside of it are all that different. Probably a significant part of them would support such a man too.


Hi Y111.

Supporting to get what they want yet knowing but ignoring how he goes about getting it are two different things. However, I guess I should not project what many feel, perhaps even a majority feel, onto all. And we'll have to wait a few years to get the full legacy from history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/05/worst-president-ever/

I'm sure he is more popular with people on the ideological Right, with the hawkish, and in countries he has helped or been friendly to for some reason or other - Israel,for example. Also, perhaps even US enemies are glad to see what he is doing to alienate the US and to withdraw it from leadership so they can take over. I'm thinking of Russia and China. What was it Russia just did opening bases in Africa? I forget details and importance.

We will see how many still support him in the US in November after he so terribly mismanaged Covid, is taking away some safeguards they did have, and is not willing to help for any length of time those in dire need right now in this pandemic. Plus how he has handled the racial tensions has been controversial. The country was split before, but he has purposely tried to make that worse, not better. But national polls mean nothing - well not much- when electoral votes come in to play. So he still has a chance to win.

Have a look at charts re world attitudes according to Pew Research:


As has been the case in past surveys by the Center, Trump inspires much less confidence globally than his predecessor, Barack Obama, and he receives more negative marks than other current world leaders, such as Germany’s Angela Merkel. In addition, Trump’s foreign policies are deeply unpopular. Support for Trump and these policies abroad disproportionately comes from people on the ideological right and those who favor right-wing populist parties in Europe.

...“However, Filipinos and Israelis are especially keen on the U.S. president, with 77% and 71% of adults, respectively, expressing confidence in Trump. And about half or more in Kenya, Nigeria, India and Poland have confidence in the U.S. leader.”


https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/01/08/how-people-around-the-world-see-the-u-s-and-donald-trump-in-10-charts/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/tearing-apart-america-how-friends-and-foes-now-view-trumps-rule

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2020 5:55:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/26/2014
Posts: 1,131
Neurons: 1,401,150
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Trump Criticizes Late Rep. John Lewis For Not Attending Inauguration
August 4, 2020 2:25 PM ET


https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/08/04/898987316/trump-criticizes-late-rep-john-lewis-for-not-attending-inauguration

"And again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have."



One of the most blatant lies ever told!

He's like an 8 year old with chocolate and cookie crumbs on his face saying...

"No Mama, I don't know where the cookies went."


Decades-Old Housing Discrimination Case Plagues Donald Trump
September 29, 201610:22 PM ET


https://www.npr.org/2016/09/29/495955920/donald-trump-plagued-by-decades-old-housing-discrimination-case

The Justice Department sued Donald Trump, his father, Fred, and Trump Management in order to obtain a settlement in which Trump and his father would promise not to discriminate. The case eventually was settled two years later after Trump tried to countersue the Justice Department for $100 million for making false statements. Those allegations were dismissed by the court.

"Donald started his career, back in 1973, being sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination — because he would not rent apartments in one of his developments to African-Americans, and he made sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy," Clinton said on Monday night.

...

The lawsuit was based on evidence gathered by testers for the New York City Human Rights Division, which alleged that black people who went to Trump buildings were told there were no apartments available, while white people were offered units.

Back then, Sheila Morse worked as one of those testers. When a black New Yorker was turned down for service and racial bias was suspected, Morse, who is white, would be dispatched to see if she received different treatment.

In this case, a black man in search of an apartment in Brooklyn in 1972 saw a sign on a building: "apartment for rent."

"He met with the superintendent, and the superintendent said, 'I'm very sorry, but the apartment is rented — it's gone,' " Morse says. "So the gentlemen said to him, 'Well, why is the sign out? I still see a sign that says apartment for rent.' And the superintendent said, 'Oh, I guess I forgot to take it down.' "

When Morse went to the building to ask about the same apartment, she says, "They greeted me with open arms and showed me every aspect of the apartment."

Morse says she reported her experience to the Human Rights Commission, and then returned to the apartment building. After she was offered a lease, the black man who had tried to rent the apartment entered the office with a city human rights commissioner, and the three of them confronted the building superintendent.

"He said, 'Well, I'm only doing what my boss told me to do — I am not allowed to rent to black tenants,' " Morse says.

The commissioner asked the building superintendent to take him to his boss. That turned out to be Trump Management.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.