The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

said vs added Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 7:34:45 PM

Neurons: 27,900
While he said this did not mean the PN government has collapsed, he said Umno’s support for the coalition was only to allow it to form the federal government and some state administrations.

Would it be better if the second "said" be replaced by "added"?

Thanks!
tautophile
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:37:02 PM

Neurons: 13,734
I don't think the second "said" should be changed to "added". I would suggest, however that the second "said" should be followed by a "that", so as to read "...collapsed, he said that Umno's support...". A "that" after the first "said" would also be a good idea.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:52:29 PM

Neurons: 224,906
I wouldn't.

I understand you may feel that "said" is a repetition and so "bad style", but "added" doesn't work well.

The use of "While" at the start of the sentence predicts a dichotomy - a partial contrast, rather than an addition. It's more like a "but" or "however".

While he said this did not mean the PN government has collapsed, he said Umno’s support for the coalition was only to allow it to form the federal government and some state administrations.
This is equivalent to:
He said this did not mean the PN government has collapsed; however, on the other hand, he said Umno’s support for the coalition was only to allow it to form the federal government and some state administrations.

"He added" gives the idea that the two statements agree - one ADDS to the other.

It's not wrong, but doesn't seem to quite fit properly, either.

EDITED
to add: I wrote this without seeing tautophile's reply.
It's true - if I were saying it, I would probably use "that" too.