mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
According to the weather forecast it was supposed to ... / it should ... Options
Elmmosa
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 2:34:33 AM

Neurons: 2,331
Hello, are both sentences correct? And which one should I use?

According to the weather forecast it was supposed to be sunny and dry with only a few rain showers especially in the evening but around noon it started to rain really hard with strong winds.

According to the weather forecast it should be sunny and dry with only a few rain showers especially in the evening but around noon it started to rain really hard with strong winds.

Thank you
thar
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 2:44:33 AM

Neurons: 91,971
Morning. Deciding whether to take a coat when you go out:
İt is supposed to rain today. You had better take a coat.

Morning. Deciding whether to water the vegetables growing in the garden:
İt should rain today so it should be OK to leave them. İf it doesn't rain I'll water the plants tonight.

Afternoon. İt has been raining all day. Looking out the window at the pouring rain:
İt was supposed to be dry today!

sureshot
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 2:49:55 AM

Neurons: 452,299
Elmmosa wrote:

According to the weather forecast it was supposed to be sunny and dry with only a few rain showers especially in the evening but around noon it started to rain really hard with strong winds.

According to the weather forecast it should be sunny and dry with only a few rain showers especially in the evening but around noon it started to rain really hard with strong winds.

Thank you

The first sentence is better and understandable. Note the verb "started". It implies that you are talking about a past event. The sentence can be written in other ways too, in order to convey the same sense.

The second sentence uses "should" and the sense pertains to the future time period. The last clause is "but around noon it started to rain really hard with strong winds. This clause does not fit after the first part of the sentence.
Elmmosa
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 3:12:41 AM

A big thank you to you both :)

Wish you a nice Sunday!
terry cheng 20
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:36:51 AM

Neurons: 31,561
Elmmosa wrote:

Thank you

The first one is correct
Elmmosa
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 7:52:19 AM

Thank you Terry :)
tautophile
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 11:55:12 AM

Neurons: 16,910
When I was a weather forecaster--I'm retired now--my forecasts were better than that! Elmmosa, the first sentence is better; I assume it was written or spoken later in the afternoon or in the evening.
Elmmosa
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 1:31:27 PM

yes, in the evening ... your assumption is correct :)

Thank you tautophile!