Is 'edify' only about mind?

edify
verb [ T ] formal
UK /ˈed.ɪ.faɪ/ US /ˈed.ə.faɪ/

to improve someone's mind
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 6:24:50 AM

Neurons: 57,489

Well yes, because it only refers to "increasing [one's] knowledge." And the place that happens is in the mind. So the verb - to edify - refers to the process of learning new things.

The noun "edification" is used to mean something which will educate, or teach one, something new.
"The leader of the Expedition came to talk to us solely for our edification." They came for no other reason than to tell us what the expedition had been like.

"The Lecture was most edifying" = the lecture taught me a lot - it increased my knowledge.
" Myra has translated the passage from Spanish to English for your edification." = so you can learn something from it.
"I only want to talk to people whose ideas will edify me." = I only want to talk to people whose ideas will give me new knowledge/ideas.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:28:31 AM

Neurons: 9,802
Many thanks Rom!
Sorry why is it relate to 'morallr'/'spiritually', please?
forms: ˈediˌfied or ˈediˌfying
1. to instruct in such a way as to improve, enlighten, or uplift morally, spiritually, or intellectually

In dictionary to Farsi, it also means cleaning our moral/spiritual.can that mean this too, please?
pjharvey
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:58:03 AM

Neurons: 72,767
Well then, yes, I think that Romany meant the mind as opposed to the body, that is, only our intellectual and moral (not physical) part.
You can replace the word "mind" with "soul", if that makes it easier to understand.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:08:11 AM

pjharvey wrote:
Well then, yes, I think that Romany meant the mind as opposed to the body, that is, only our intellectual and moral (not physical) part.
You can replace the word "mind" with "soul", if that makes it easier to understand.

Many thanks!
Can that mean 'cleaning soul' too?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:42:28 AM

Neurons: 68,876
Tara2 wrote:
pjharvey wrote:

Many thanks!

I think you would be better to stay with the basic idea of knowledge and instruction. When you get into the soul or spirit aspect, you begin to leave knowledge and enter the realm of faith or belief.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 11:58:37 AM

FounDit wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
pjharvey wrote:

Many thanks!

I think you would be better to stay with the basic idea of knowledge and instruction. When you get into the soul or spirit aspect, you begin to leave knowledge and enter the realm of faith or belief.

Aha, yes, many thanks. Angel