mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
That treasure is owed me, by thunder! Options
Mnemon
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 5:24:34 AM

Neurons: 279
Hi,

Jim- I'm gonna make sure that you never see...one drabloon of my treasure!
Silver- That treasure is owed me, by thunder!

Treasure Planet animated movie

What do you understand from the bold part?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:15:02 AM

Neurons: 12,913
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Treasure Planet is an animated adaptation of “Treasure Island”, Silver is a version of the character Long John Silver.

The treasure that they find in both cases was taken by the pirate Captain Flint and hidden away from his crew, John Silver was part of this crew he feels he is entitled to have it as it was through the criminal actions of his comrades and himself this treasure was accumulated. They risked life and limb ( in Long John Silvers case a leg) in order to steal it, they robbed and killed for it. The treasure is his wages for all this it’s owed to him.
Mnemon
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:37:27 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Treasure Planet is an animated adaptation of “Treasure Island”, Silver is a version of the character Long John Silver.

The treasure that they find in both cases was taken by the pirate Captain Flint and hidden away from his crew, John Silver was part of this crew he feels he is entitled to have it as it was through the criminal actions of his comrades and himself this treasure was accumulated. They risked life and limb ( in Long John Silvers case a leg) in order to steal it, they robbed and killed for it. The treasure is his wages for all this it’s owed to him.

Many thanks for your thorough explanation.

Just curious, you ever encountered the term "drabloon " before? Or probably, it's just an invention of the screenwriter!

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:41:49 AM

Neurons: 56,763

Hi Mnemon,

It's actually pretty straightforward:-

"That treasure is owed (to) me."
"That shirt was given to me"

These are the same pattern. What is confusing, perhaps, is that the "to" is missing?

That's because THAT's a pattern too:

"This ring was given me by my mother."
"The money is owed me by the Government."
"A new ring? Show it me."

However...relax! Yes, it's good to be aware of this strange little quirk so that when/if you come across it you'll understand what's meant. However, this usage has slowly been disappearing from the English language for quite a while now - and it never was "correct" English anyway. So mastering this usage is unnecessary in modern English.

Mnemon
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:49:08 AM

Romany wrote:

Hi Mnemon,

It's actually pretty straightforward:-

"That treasure is owed (to) me."
"That shirt was given to me"

These are the same pattern. What is confusing, perhaps, is that the "to" is missing?

That's because THAT's a pattern too:

"This ring was given me by my mother."
"The money is owed me by the Government."
"A new ring? Show it me."

However...relax! Yes, it's good to be aware of this strange little quirk so that when/if you come across it you'll understand what's meant. However, this usage has slowly been disappearing from the English language for quite a while now - and it never was "correct" English anyway. So mastering this usage is unnecessary in modern English.

You've got a point there, Romany. Much obliged.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 7:46:52 AM

Neurons: 12,913
Mnemon wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Just curious, you ever encountered the term "drabloon " before? Or probably, it's just an invention of the screenwriter!

Yes I have never heard of drabloon before it’s similar to the word doubloon a real Spanish coin common in the age of pirates.
You are correct it’s a word made up by the screenwriters, it’s a common trope of SciFi inventing a new word that’s similar to another existing one. It’s used a lot when inventing minced oaths “frak” from Battlestar Galactica is an example.
Mnemon
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:33:03 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Yes I have never heard of drabloon before it’s similar to the word doubloon a real Spanish coin common in the age of pirates.
You are correct it’s a word made up by the screenwriters, it’s a common trope of SciFi inventing a new word that’s similar to another existing one. It’s used a lot when inventing minced oaths “frak” from Battlestar Galactica is an example.

Thanks for the further explanation.