mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A little paraphrase Options
Turnpike
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:33:41 AM

Neurons: 3,846
Can you please paraphrase the sentence?

"What about the little white nightgowns that had to be taken from the pillow-slip in which they were brought over, and shaken by some strong hand till they snapped like ox-whips?"
Romany
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 10:00:53 AM

Neurons: 56,753

"Remember those little nighties we had to shake 'til they [snapped like ox-whips]?

Two people are reminiscing: they don't have to go into details - they were both there! They know the nighties were white, they know how they were brought over, they know there was no machine to shake them and so they did it by hand. So to encapsulate what they were
saying - they spoke of the little nighties they had to shake out.(To get the wrinkles out and save on ironing.)

I left the simile in because it's very natural and common in English to make a lot of use of simile- especially for comic effect; or just to make one's speech more vivid and/or easy to understand. (I know exactly what is meant by that particular sound from shaking table cloths,or tea towels out of windows. So can imagine the whole process. Just to leave it at "shake" would mean that I and any other reader would probably not understand the task the two are looking back at.)

thar
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 4:28:25 AM

Neurons: 91,971
I think the confusion might be because they are shaken till they snap?
This is not 'snap' as in 'break', it is the noise a whip makes when the end moves fast.
The same with the laundry as they shake it out - the length of it acts like a whip so it makes a cracking sound as you flap it up and down.

snap
Quote:

no object
Emit a sudden, sharp cracking sound.
‘banners snapping in the breeze’

sourcehttps://www.lexico.com/definition/snap

not to be too sexist or anything....Whistle