mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The violet border? Options
Turnpike
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:57:48 AM

Neurons: 3,846
From Kate Chopin's "Madame Célestin's Divorce".
What does "the violet border" mean, please? A border that is made of violet flowers?

A noticeable change had come over lawyer Paxton. He discarded his work-day coat and began to wear his Sunday one to the office. He grew solicitous as to the shine of his boots, his collar, and the set of his tie. He brushed and trimmed his whiskers with a care that had not before been apparent. Then he fell into a stupid habit of dreaming as he walked the streets of the old town. It would be very good to take unto himself a wife, he dreamed. And he could dream of no other than pretty Madame Célestin filling that sweet and sacred office as she filled his thoughts, now. Old Natchitoches would not hold them comfortably, perhaps; but the world was surely wide enough to live in, outside of Natchitoches town.

His heart beat in a strangely irregular manner as he neared Madame Célestin's house one morning, and discovered her behind the rosebushes, as usual plying her broom. She had finished the gallery and steps and was sweeping the little brick walk along the edge of the violet border.

"Good-morning, Madame Célestin."

"Ah, it 's you, Judge? Good-morning." He waited. She seemed to be doing the same. Then she ventured, with some hesitancy, "You know, Judge, about that divo'ce. I been thinking, - I reckon you betta neva mine about that divo'ce." She was making deep rings in the palm of her gloved hand with the end of the broom-handle, and looking at them critically. Her face seemed to the lawyer to be unusually rosy; but maybe it was only the reflection of the pink bow at the throat. "Yes, I reckon you need n' mine. You see, Judge, Célestin came home las' night. An' he 's promise me on his word an' honor he 's going to turn ova a new leaf."
thar
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:27:07 AM

Neurons: 91,971
Yes, a border is a long flower bed. This one I assume was planted with violets, although the are quite low plants for a border.

Quote:
border
a narrow strip of ground around a garden, usually planted with flowers:
to weed/plant the borders

Quote:
violet
noun [ C ]
violet noun [C] (PLANT)

[ C ]
a small plant with pleasant-smelling purple, blue, or white flowers

Turnpike
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:43:16 AM

Neurons: 3,846
thar wrote:
Yes, a border is a long flower bed. This one I assume was planted with violets, although the are quite low plants for a border.

Quote:
border
a narrow strip of ground around a garden, usually planted with flowers:
to weed/plant the borders

Quote:
violet
noun [ C ]
violet noun [C] (PLANT)

[ C ]
a small plant with pleasant-smelling purple, blue, or white flowers

Thank you for the confirmation, Thar! ☺
sureshot
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:45:19 AM

Neurons: 452,299
Turnpike wrote:

His heart beat in a strangely irregular manner as he neared Madame Célestin's house one morning, and discovered her behind the rosebushes, as usual plying her broom. She had finished the gallery and steps and was sweeping the little brick walk along the edge of the violet border.

The garden has low, stemless or leafy-stemmed violet plants with purple, blue, yellow, white, or variegated flowers. The writer has used the term "violet border" since the violets were at the edge of the brick walk and functioned as a border. Here, the word "border" refers to the strip of ground, as at the edge of the garden or brick walk, in which ornamental violets were planted.