mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Which tenses Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:34:30 AM

Neurons: 11,795
- Are you working now!
- No, we are not working for a while. We have taken a two-week break now. We are starting working on the tenth of April. or We start working on the tenth of April.

When I say "We have taken a two-week break now." it's not clear on its own when it started, right? May be one week has already passed?

Antonia40
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 4:21:03 AM

Neurons: 576
We start working.... is better, i think, because we are starting working.... would be in case of starting just now.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:29:16 AM

Neurons: 1,232,862
Are you working now?

I typically hear "We go back to work April 10th." (or the 10th of April)
Or "We return to work April 10th."
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:36:36 AM

Neurons: 57,489
As this is a very common Q & A on the street at the moment as we all start slowly to come out of lock-down I'm going to remark about contextual conversation.

"You working?"
"No, we're in the middle of a two week break. We go back on the tenth of April."
is how this conversation goes IRL situations.

You see, when a conversation is concerned with contemporary events i.e. things that are happening right now with which everyone is familiar, - we can take short-cuts because everyone knows what we're talking about.

"Are you working now?" doesn't need "now". THIS(now) is when you are talking to them.Working at this time after all the furloughs and lay-offs etc.(now) is the important question on everyone's minds. We're anxious to know if our friends & acquaintances are ok, or if, after Lockdown, they still have a job to go to. (As to "Are" you working?We kinda "swallow" the "are" when we say it.)
So the response is in those terms: No - I'll be fine. The reason I'm not back at work is just because we're having a little break.But yes, it's all good: I'll be back at work on April 10th." is the main objective which the response is concerned with.

"context" doesn't just mean the written context; it also means the external context."Natural" conversation doesn't occur on it's own but in the context in which it's being used.