The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Conjunctive Adverbs for Comparison Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,709
Conjunctive Adverbs for Comparison

There are many conjunctive adverbs. To choose the right one, we must consider the relationship between the first and second clause. When we state that two things are alike, what two conjunctive adverbs can we use? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 2:28:21 AM

Neurons: 4,191,977
What are the three actions conjunctive adverbs can perform in a sentence?
A conjunctive adverb will also introduce, interrupt, or conclude a single main clause. In this situation, you will often need commas to separate the conjunctive adverb from the rest of the sentence.
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 2:53:14 AM

Neurons: 223,530
Ok
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 7:14:50 AM

Neurons: 925,626
CONJUNCTIVE ADVERBS (Contrast, Condition, Comparison, Result)

a. Conjunctive adverbs of Contrast : When a sentence shows an unexpected result of another sentence.

=> However : showing general contrasts, used when you are saying something that is different from or contrasts with a previous statement. Example : Raqheel had the flu and should have stayed home; however, she went to work.

=> Nevertheless : showing unexpected results, in spite of what has just been said. Example : Vian didn’t study and had poor notes from the class lectures; nevertheless, he got a high mark on the test.

=> Still : showing unexpected results. Example : Bob had a flat tire and traffic was very heavy; still, he made it to work on time.

b. Conjunctive adverbs of Condition : The conjunctive adverb means “if not”, it’s used when the second sentence shows the result if the first sentence doesn’t happen.

=> Otherwise : means in a different way or manner. Example : Be ready in five minutes; otherwise I’ll leave without you.

c. Conjuctive adverbs of Comparison : To compare things.

=> Likewise : means “in the same way”. Example : I love my child; likewise, I love myself.

d. Conjunctive adverbs of Result : To explain result at that time at the same time besides.

=> Therefore : means for that reason or cause. Example : She studied hard; therefore, she got 1st rank in her class.

=> Consequently : means something that results from an event. Example : Mikha is a wonderful teacher; consequently, many parents want their children in her classroom.

=> Accordingly : means correspondingly Example : It rained very hard; accordingly, the soccer game was canceled.

=> Hence : means “so”. Example : He always go to school early; hence, he never late.

=> Thus : means “so”. Example : Icha is a diligent student; thus, she has a lot of friends.

https://raqheelcaze.wordpress.com/
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 9:44:27 AM

Neurons: 1,108,304

There are many conjunctive adverbs. To choose the right one, we must consider the relationship between the first and second clause.

People could use a brush-up on this topic.