mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Kelvin Water Dropper Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,622
The Kelvin Water Dropper

The Kelvin water dropper is an electrostatic generator that was invented in the 1860s by William Thomson—better known as Lord Kelvin. The device uses drops of water falling into separate buckets to generate opposite electrical charges, which will eventually discharge via an arc between the buckets. If the buckets are insulated from each other, they can become so charged that they may even fling the water droplets away before they land. How can one build such a device at home? More...
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 1:48:51 AM

Neurons: 459,065
Thanks
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 2:56:13 AM

Neurons: 4,402,893
Who discovered Kelvin?
William Thomson
The Kelvin temperature scale was the brainchild of Belfast-born British inventor and scientist William Thomson — also known as Lord Kelvin. It is one of the three best-known scales used to measure temperature, along with Fahrenheit and Celsius.
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:28:34 AM

Neurons: 1,128,853
The legendary Lord Kelvin made electricity from water with this ingenious electrostatic generator.

William Thomson, often better known as Lord Kelvin, was one of the most influential scientists of the nineteenth century. His interests were diverse; he made significant contributions to mechanics, mathematics, magnetism, electricity, thermodynamics and hydrodynamics. One of many testaments to Thomson’s innovative nature is the device presented in this tutorial, usually referred to as a Kelvin water dropper. Invented in the 1860s, it is an ingenious sort of electrostatic generator.

https://nationalmaglab.org/education/magnet-academy
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:33:05 AM

Neurons: 1,128,853
Kelvin in his own words:

“When you are face to face with a difficulty, you are up against a discovery.”
“The more you understand what is wrong with a figure, the more valuable that figure becomes.”
“To measure is to know.”
“If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it.”
“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.”
“I am never content until I have constructed a mechanical model of the subject I am studying. If I succeed in making one, I understand, otherwise I do not.”
“There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement.”

https://physicsworld.com/
Sanjid Jakariya
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 12:57:37 PM

Neurons: 5,950
Kelvin Water Dropper
font size decrease font size increase font size Print
The legendary Lord Kelvin made electricity from water with this ingenious electrostatic generator.

William Thomson, often better known as Lord Kelvin, was one of the most influential scientists of the nineteenth century. His interests were diverse; he made significant contributions to mechanics, mathematics, magnetism, electricity, thermodynamics and hydrodynamics. One of many testaments to Thomson’s innovative nature is the device presented in this tutorial, usually referred to as a Kelvin water dropper. Invented in the 1860s, it is an ingenious sort of electrostatic generator.