The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The pandemic reigns on. Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 9:20:02 AM

Neurons: 1,347,479
The covid19 pandemic continues despite the social distraction of the George Floyd protests. In the US, there have now been over 2 million cases of covid19 and nearly 114,000 deaths as of this date.

https://apps.npr.org/dailygraphics/graphics/coronavirus-d3-us-map-20200312/table.html
Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 9:34:02 AM

Neurons: 52,975
It didn’t need to be so.It is going to get worse there and elsewhere after all the protesting. The “let's open up” people should be happy. - with their theory of herd immunity and it's ONLY the elderly and immune compromised people who get it bad or die. Stock markets didn't like the numbers yesterday.

Anybody who goes to Trump's Juneteenth rally in Tulsa (look up the history and significance of date and place - probably Stephen Miller's hand) have to sign a waiver they won't sue Trump if they get Covid19. Here I thought Covid was a hoax or gone according to Trump.

Stores in our area have been very good about social distancing, sanitizing carts and hands, and putting barriers between checkout people and the public. Many shoppers are wearing masks - many don't but at least one can avoid them with the 6’ ft rule.

Anyhow, cases are down in our area and beauty salons can open today. Don't know how he will cut my hair when I'm wearing their mandatory mask, but my appt is in an hour!

Yahoo!

Guillermo Briones Luna
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 12:07:25 PM

Neurons: 19,935
In Mexico, Dr. López - Gatell established based on statistics that the peak of the pandemic would be between May 8 and 12, at that time they insisted that the peak was at its peak, however, at the beginning of the new month, he declared that the peak of the pandemic will be on June 15. This doesn't seem to end. Eh?
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 5:06:24 PM

Neurons: 460,923
Since, in the US, Covid 19 is a political issue (not a medical, social, or scientific one) we have "Covid Free" areas where no one wears a mask because the virus is all a part of a vast left-wing conspiracy. Then there is the rest of the country, where people are trying balanced approaches to dealing with the virus. It is interesting to accidentally wander into these Covid Free zones wearing a mask.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 6:37:08 PM

Blaidd-Drwg wrote:
Since, in the US, Covid 19 is a political issue (not a medical, social, or scientific one) we have "Covid Free" areas where no one wears a mask because the virus is all a part of a vast left-wing conspiracy. Then there is the rest of the country, where people are trying balanced approaches to dealing with the virus. It is interesting to accidentally wander into these Covid Free zones wearing a mask.

Lol. Accidentally?

A woman in BC says she had not been to a beauty salon in 4 months as they just reopened today and her hairdresser this morning informed her that “Oprah is being used to take over the world and that Bill Gates wants to implant us with devices that the Government can use to kill us instantaneously....”

Wonder where the hairdresser got these conspiracy theories. Whistle This is Canada!!!

BTW - my hair looks great! Hairdressers were wearing a shield covering their whole face - I eventually took my mask off. Everything was sanitized beforehand. Only two new cases in our whole region and no new deaths.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 6:38:40 PM

Guillermo Briones Luna wrote:
In Mexico, Dr. López - Gatell established based on statistics that the peak of the pandemic would be between May 8 and 12, at that time they insisted that the peak was at its peak, however, at the beginning of the new month, he declared that the peak of the pandemic will be on June 15. This doesn't seem to end. Eh?

Hang in there, Bill. (Ok to call you that?)
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 6:51:26 PM

Neurons: 1,682,278
Hope:

Haircuts with masks are possible and your person will know what to do. I have had two so far and it works. He even keeps my mask on when washing my hair...it's different for sure.

To some others on this thread:

COVID-19 is real, so are planes that flew into buildings, and people who were killed in WWII by genocide. I am really sick of people who don't want to face facts, go live in your conspiracy based reality but please don't keep saying stupid things. I am sorry but I have been living in this "reality" since Feb. I have had more months of lock-down than most of you and I am sick to death with people whining about it. I have had months of work without pay and I am staying the course and not bitching about it...please stop whining.

If you want to go out without a mask do it...if you feel it's all a hoax then go ahead and risk your health, but for those of us who can see the evidence and choose to be safe, don't be offended when we avoid you and think you are a risk to others because indeed you are.

I have lived through 3 repeat visits of this virus in my area. Each one was met with a lock-down and each time the results were better. We have just gotten over lock-down 3 and life is slowly coming back...it's not "normal" but it's better.

The Spanish Flu lasted for 2 years so we all need to get ready to ride this out. Sticking your head in the sand and saying it ain't real isn't going to help anyone. It's real, people have died, people will live with compromised health for years to come...those are truths and facts.

Sorry, but I am just tired and venting, and I too would like to get back to my old life. Those days are gone. All I can do now is wait and hope the government will allow us to open our business up soon. I want to teach in a classroom again, it's been almost 5 months since we have done that. We live with the uncertainty of when it will happen because no one wants to give approval and then regret it when it may go south. It's hard and it's taxing on everyone but we live with it and say nothing. Okay yes I am in China...those are the rules, but watching the insanity going on in the US, I prefer to live with these rules for now.

I have tried to be kind and understanding of the other side, but I have to say most of the stuff you have to say is not helpful and is actually very twisted up in half-truths to outright lies. Please stop.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 1:19:33 AM

Hope123 wrote:
A woman in BC says she had not been to a beauty salon in 4 months as they just reopened today and her hairdresser this morning informed her that “Oprah is being used to take over the world and that Bill Gates wants to implant us with devices that the Government can use to kill us instantaneously....”

Wonder where the hairdresser got these conspiracy theories. Whistle This is Canada!!!

Russian Facebook bots spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I had a family member recently tell me that "covid19 wasn't that bad."

"Really?" I replied. "There was a news article about a young woman who needed a lung transplant because her lungs were destroyed by the coronavirus. Her lungs looked like they had been boiled in acid."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/12/875486356/first-known-u-s-lung-transplant-for-covid-19-patient-performed-in-chicago

Healthy lungs vs. smoker's lungs.

Covid19 lungs...

Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 12:46:28 PM

Neurons: 460,923
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Russian Facebook bots spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

FUD bots and automated trolls are commonplace, but very little is said about them because they make lots of money for those who deploy them. If you want to find out about a possible bot or troll there are some tools you can use.

https://hoaxy.iuni.iu.edu/
Hoaxy is a very powerful tool, but it can be a bit bothersome to use. The description is from their website:
Hoaxy is a tool that visualizes the spread of articles online. Articles can be found on Twitter, or in a corpus of claims and related fact checking.

https://botsentinel.com/
Bot Sentinel is a service that tracks accounts and ranks them based on how much disinformation they pass on. It also follows trends and has a nice dashboard. A major limiting factor is that they only follow Twitter.

Romany
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 3:19:12 PM

Neurons: 55,609

L.Rai

I first came across the thinking of "certain posters" WHILE I was in China. In a life that was full of change, experiences most people could never imagine, and finding, all across this wonderful world of ours all the commonalities that people - from the isolated Hunter-gather tribes of Papua New Guinea, to the Elites of Beverly Hills - all experience as Homo Sapiens.

I arrived in China having gone through rape, (plural); torture; war; a lifetime of racist taunts; abuse (I'm white but have always lived in black countries), and war, with every bit of my love for my fellow-humans still intact. Not the bad ones,obviously. But my experiences - with the thousands of people from all cultures, creeds, and countries who had been part of my life - had not changed my conviction that all people are not only equal, but the equality they share is based on the things they SHARE.

This was how I approached the people - my students and the people around me - of China and I found nothing, anywhere in those 7 years, to make me change.

THAT was when I first became aware of this nihilistic thinking some posters espouse: - whoever does not think/look as I do is my enemy. All who hold a different view to mine are my enemy. I am superior to the people of all other nations because I was born white/Asian, thus the world outside my borders is my enemy.

And after two years of research, and talking, and interviews about the time before Opening Up, I understood that these were the same views/different nations. And that they are inculcated through propaganda.

It has taken almost two generations to combat the effects of propaganda in China.

I hold out no hope that even the combined force of the majority of this forum will do so here.
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 7:13:25 PM

Neurons: 1,682,278
Dear Romany:

Thank you for sharing...no one really can know another person, especially when all we know is on "posts" I am truly sorry for what you have been through, and appreciate and admire that you have kept yourself sane. Personal history does indeed color each of us and forms us into who we can choose to become.

I was just venting as it's been very difficult to read some of the posts and not comment. As of yesterday Beijing just locked down 11 residential communities near a market that was confirmed to have the virus. I have no idea what that will mean to us here but it will have a ripple effect for sure.

The constant re-appearance of this virus is tiring as you may well imagine. Beijing had been 50 days virus free and now this. It makes one wonder if this will ever end but logically you know it will.

I have adapted to life in China by choice. I am not sure where you were in China but each city I have found is different and some are better than others. I lived in the south (real south Guangdong Province) and I have lived in the Northeast Jilin Province and they are like night and day. I have seen changes (small but they are good) and it gives me great hope.

I grew up near a large urban downtown area and in my youth had plenty of exposure to both sides of the tracks. It helped to shape my worldview. I have to say it was a very multi-cultural experience which helped greatly when I began to live and work abroad. I wish more young people had that exposure, I think it would benefit our world if we encouraged young people to live in very different cultures and have those experiences.

I was struck at a very young age by the concept that fear of anything was only brought on because you didn't know it well. Once you know something well you won't really fear it. You can respect it for the danger it might possess but you shouldn't fear it because you know it. That shaped me and my understanding of my world. I still believe it.

Thanks again for sharing
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 4:07:05 AM

Coronavirus Spread Hits 1-Day High, World Health Organization Says
June 19, 20205:10 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/19/880928603/coronavirus-spread-hits-one-day-high-world-health-organization-says

The coronavirus pandemic reached a new one-day high Thursday with 150,000 new confirmed cases, according to the World Health Organization.

Almost half of those cases were reported in the Americas, WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference.

"The world is in a new and dangerous phase," Tedros said. "Many people are understandably fed up with being at home. Countries are understandably eager to open up their societies and economies, but the virus is still spreading fast. It is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible."

Tedros urged countries and organizations to continue to focus on the basics of prevention, including proper sanitation and social distancing. He also pointed to an increased concern about the spread of the coronavirus in refugee communities across the world as well as refugees' precarious economic situations.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 11:19:18 PM

It's easy to predict a near future surge in covid19 cases in Oklahoma. The coronavirus is apolitical. It's a simple biological machine that exists only to replicate itself in any available host. It doesn't care who you are or what you support.

Make Amerika Sick Again!

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/20/881313605/trump-crowd-size-underwhelms-campaign-blames-protesters
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 9:14:27 AM

In the US at the time of this posting...

...just over 2.5 million covid19 cases and just over 125,000 deaths.

https://apps.npr.org/dailygraphics/graphics/coronavirus-d3-us-map-20200312/table.html
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 9:23:11 AM

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:

See also statistics on thread: https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst200987_The-World-s-Most-Dangerous-Man.aspx

The antibodies built up in victims do not seem to last too long so herd immunity may not protect others or them from reinfection.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:23:01 PM

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:

That's about 11,000 deaths in the last 16 days. That's the equivalent of about 64 Boeing 737 Max 800's falling out of the sky! If such a thing happened, it would be considered a catastrophe. But, little donny continues to treat the pandemic as a joke. He refuses to wear a mask in public. Fortunately, the coronavirus doesn't discriminate and will readily infect rich jackasses just like anybody else.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 6:13:04 PM

I dunno, Oscar. Can Covid transfer from human to demon? Whistle Boo hoo!
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 6:25:45 PM

The stunning new scientific breakthrough to beat Covid

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:29:20 PM

Oscar, I should not have joked.

A nurse on a Twitter from DC said when they ran out of body bags, it took her half an hour to start her car after her shift. Another in Texas said their hospital is hoarding them now and she had such an awful night she sat in her car for 20 minutes trying to get up the energy to go home.

But it's all a hoax, it is against their constitutional rights to refuse to wear a mask, FD says they should have a choice, etc etc. Karens are all over the US country having tantrums, throwing merchandise all over the floor of the supermarket because they were told to wear a mask. Strangely enough in the videos I saw they were all white women spouting MAGA propaganda.

And as your last post shows, Trump is their hero who refuses to wear a mask or social distance.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:49:43 PM

Digression - but still about the deaths of Americans:

https://youtu.be/kiDkTOKI7Ro
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 8:08:38 PM

Not a digression.

https://youtu.be/MpZXYG8DNUI
Dr Sanchika Gupta
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 12:34:42 AM

Neurons: 21,569
Cases are increasing in many countries. we need to follow basic principles of social distancing.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 6:07:20 PM

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:09:44 PM

It wasn't rocket science to predict this outcome...

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
It's easy to predict a near future surge in covid19 cases in Oklahoma. The coronavirus is apolitical. It's a simple biological machine that exists only to replicate itself in any available host. It doesn't care who you are or what you support.

Make Amerika Sick Again!

Trump Rally Likely Fueled Virus Cases, Tulsa Official Says

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-08/trump-rally-likely-fueled-virus-cases-tulsa-official-says

The top health official in Tulsa, Oklahoma, said that President Donald Trump’s June 20 campaign rally and accompanying protests likely boosted the number of coronavirus infections in the area.

“We do have the highest number of cases, and we’ve had the significant events in the past few weeks that more than likely contributed to that,” Tulsa Health Department Director Bruce Dart said Wednesday at a news conference.

Trump held the rally despite pleas from local authorities to delay because they were already seeing a rise in Covid-19 cases. An estimated 6,200 people came to the city’s 19,000-seat BOK Center, many without masks.

Tulsa County accounts for 4,571 of Oklahoma’s 17,893 Covid-19 cases, or about 26%, according to county and state data. The county reported 261 and 206 cases for Monday and Tuesday, eclipsing Tuesday’s seven-day rolling average of 146.7.

Dart said the data and timing suggested a relationship between the increase and the Trump rally and other events.

“The past two days we’ve had almost 500 cases, and we know we had several large events a little over two weeks ago,” he said. “I guess we just connect the dots.”

The 6,200-person crowd estimate from Tulsa’s fire department would make it the largest indoor event in the U.S. since March. It was Trump’s first rally since stay-at-home orders shut down large gatherings across the country.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:32:07 PM

3 Million Cases: Coronavirus Continues To Surge Across U.S.
July 8, 202011:49 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/08/888625893/3-million-cases-coronavirus-continues-to-surge-across-u-s

The U.S. has reported more than 3 million coronavirus cases as of Wednesday morning, with all but a handful of states struggling to control outbreaks of COVID-19. One million of those cases have been confirmed over the past month — part of a wave of infection that began after many states started to reopen their economies in May.

The total number of cases also includes nearly 1 million people declared to have recovered. But more than 130,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 – roughly twice the death toll of any other country, according to a tracker from Johns Hopkins University. Most experts believe those numbers vastly underestimate the disease's true toll.

"I did not expect it to grow this quickly" in the U.S., says Bob Bednarczyk, assistant professor of global health and epidemiology at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University in Atlanta.

"Any time we hit some milestone number, like 3 million, it draws a lot of attention," he says. "I hope that as people see how quickly this is continuing to grow, they will pay more attention to experts calling for continued mask wearing, physical distancing, and hand washing."

The U.S. effort to fight the virus has been undermined by problems ranging from flawed tests early on to resistance among many Americans — and in some cases, outright refusal — to wear a face mask or take other precautions recommended by health experts.

[continued]
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:55:53 AM

Oscar, in spite of all that that is horribly happening in the US, 80% of Americans in a poll want the Canadian US border to open to non essential travel while most Canadians are adamant it not be done any time soon. We are not stupid.

Some American in Government is even introducing a bill to get the border open.

But it takes two to tango and most Canadians shudder at the prospects of crossing that border, and the PM even turned down an invitation to meet with Trump.

Trump will consider that to be a snub so we are waiting for reprisals.

Trudeau Turns Down Invite from Trump, CDNs Won't Cross Border

Even Mexico has closed their border to the US - for which I know some Americans who will be happy.

Americans who have used loopholes and subterfuge to get in to Canada to holiday this summer feel entitled to behave as they do at home and have not followed Canada's Covid rules. Some have been caught and fined $1200 each and I hope they are banned from Canada forever.

If an American causes an outbreak or a death by such antics, the fine is $750,000 and jail time.

We may be a country full of peace loving sensible people who value life, even of our elderly, but don't mess with us is the message.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 1:14:58 AM

Florida records a record daily high number of coronavirus infections.

Florida Smashes U.S. State Record Of Daily New Cases: More Than 15,200
July 12, 20203:07 PM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/12/890216415/florida-smashes-u-s-state-record-of-daily-new-cases-more-than-15-200

Florida reported 15,299 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, marking the largest single-day increase of any state since the start of the pandemic.

Sunday's number exceeds New York's peak of more than 12,200 new cases in one day back in April, when it was the epicenter of the outbreak.

This latest surge brings the total number of cases in the state to 269,811. Florida has recorded 4,242 total deaths, with 45 of those new as of Sunday.

"If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India," Reuters noted.

As of Saturday, 7,186 people were hospitalized in Florida, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

Florida started reopening in early May and has continually shattered state records for single-day increases since cases began surging there in June.

It surpassed 10,000 new cases in one day for the first time earlier this month.

Despite the uptick in cases, many entities are continuing or resuming operations. On Saturday, as the state reported more than 10,000 new cases, two of Disney World's four area parks reopened to the public. The others are expected to open on Wednesday.

And last week, the state's Department of Education ordered schools to reopen for in-person instruction in August.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has largely resisted imposing statewide restrictions, though he did order bars to close to on-site alcohol consumption in late June.

Even with cases shattering records, DeSantis said at a June 30 news conference that the state would not roll back its reopening. He emphasized the importance of protecting vulnerable populations but stopped short of asking people to stay home.

"We're not going back, closing things," he told reporters. "I don't think that that's really what's driving it — people going to a business is not what's driving it. I think when you see the younger folks, I think a lot of it is more just social interactions, so that's natural."

While a growing number of governors have issued statewide mandates requiring face masks in public, DeSantis is not one of them. He has instead left the decision up to local governments, many of which have enacted mask mandates of their own.

Jacksonville, which is set to host the Republican National Convention in August, implemented a face covering requirement late last month.

Some local officials have also rolled back certain reopenings in an effort to slow the spread of the virus, especially in hard-hit South Florida.

In Miami-Dade County, which is considered a hot spot, Mayor Carlos Gimenez announced a countywide daily curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. effective July 3. He also rolled back the opening of entertainment facilities such as movie theaters, arcades and concert houses.

Another order, effective since July 9, closes banquet halls and ballrooms, makes masks mandatory at gyms and restricts restaurants to outdoor seating only.

And an updated emergency order took effect in Broward County on July 10, setting limits on restaurant seating and vacation rentals, with violators subject to fines and closures.

The World Health Organization also reported a record increase in global coronavirus cases on Sunday, with a rise of 230,370 in 24 hours.

Romany
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 7:20:31 AM

Neurons: 55,609

What an absolute clusterfuck! It appears that America's president is working towards some kind of record of "exceptionalism" - to leave office as the man who killed more citizens than any other US President.

The Trump Legacy is already set to go down in every history book around the world as the first time the leader of any "Democracy" was personally responsible for such a record number of deaths and disease in their short moment in the sun...that it is the only country in the world whose own death toll is larger than the rest of the world's combined figures!! An absolutely historic moment for the Trump Assoc. which will feature forever more in World History.

The best that can be done now is to ensure that record never gets broken.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 9:09:52 AM