The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

“Wrapped in the Flag and Holding a Bible” Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 8:14:12 PM

Neurons: 52,975
Trump is standing in front of a church holding a Bible. (He said it was a Bible when asked if it was his Bible.)

What was that old quote? “When fascism comes to the US, it will be wrapped in the flag and holding a Bible.”

That photo clearly personifies that quote.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:10:54 PM

Trump fired tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful protestors so he could get an awkward photo op in front of a church that didn’t want him there, holding a Bible from which he cannot name a single verse, all to prove he’s not a coward hiding in his bunker again. After he threatened protesters with military action. A perfect encapsulation.

He says America will be great again - it's coming back. But he didn't say it as if he believed it himself.

It will never be great again under his watch.

He hid in a bunker. Joe Biden went to talk with the protesters and LISTENED to them.

Iran has told the US to stop violence against its own people. Iran! Let that sink in.

Anyone who still supports Trump and is glad about his actions with Covid and with his handling of this civil unrest - the gassing and firing of rubber bullets at peaceful protesters, threatening them with military action, and his inciting violence with his words is just as evil as he is. Seems to me the US has sanctioned other countries for such actions against its own people.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:23:55 PM

Just saw this - contrast it with Trump's attitude.
Real Change
Aaron Andrew
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:42:06 PM

Neurons: 179,380
This country is so completely in trouble if this man gets voted in again!!!
We've got to make sure we at least vote for the lesser of two evils, as that seems to be all we've got!
I am really afraid we're going toward really bad times and places, these are going to be rough days ahead!
Y111
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 12:01:44 AM

Neurons: 1,834
Why don't you elect at least someone younger? Biden is even older than Trump. Old people don't like change.
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:48:52 AM

Neurons: 659,163
I think it's quite telling that in his speech he only mentioned protecting the second amendment: "I am mobilising all available federal resources civilian and military to stop the rioting and looting to end the destruction and arson and to protect the rights of law-abiding Americans including your Second Amendment rights."

Nothing about the first amendment to protect the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press and the freedom to peaceably assemble - I've seen videos and read accounts of people who were sitting in their garden when the police teargassed them. I've seen the video of CNN reporters getting arrested for calmly talking to the police. I've seen the pictures and read the accounts of people being shot in the head with a rubber bullet while out shopping, not protesting.

There's no empathy there.
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 5:03:57 AM

Neurons: 157,809
This old quote seems to be created by communist propagandist who, by sheer coincidence, failed to mention about proletarian rule over the nation. Those who do not know, what the usual pattern of transforming the nation into new, "improved" citizens is, can recall from the history Rouge Khmers.

Religion is not leading to the genocide of the nation.
Conquering other nations can lead to the genocide.

Proletariat ideas are reinforced by terror, which can be hidden from the beginning under the disguise of fight for equality.
Terror does not have to be violent in its form.

The ideals of equality are abused to the detriment of the majority.
The minority shapes the majority imposing the flawed understanding of equality.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:36:57 AM

Neurons: 1,347,479
Hope123 wrote:
He says America will be great again - it's coming back. But he didn't say it as if he believed it himself.

"Make Amerika Great Again" is nothing more than a cheap advertising slogan. It is as empty as "You deserve a break today."

Hope123 wrote:
It will never be great again under his watch.

It will be an empty shell of the Founding Fathers' vision as it has been for the last 3+ years. Trump will likely become the despotic military dictator he idealizes so much. Recall how he proclaimed how much he "had fallen in love" with Kim Jong-un!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:41:07 PM

Neurons: 55,607

The meme going round right now across the world : There've been 3 Leaders who have hidden in a bunker while their own citizens were being gassed, assaulted and attacked.

They were Sadam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump.

Fd, I know you have little idea of how the rest of the world works but, honest, we all have tvs, and access to actual footage from all over America....even in the Shithole Countries.

We are all familiar with your excuses which roll word-for-word from White House Trump apologists and straight out of you. Each time you (figuratively) open your mouth ("Oh its a FACT that there's more black people in jail because more black people are evil...whoops...naughty." "I'm not a racist but.." "There's no systemic racism in America"...yada, yada, yada,) it's almost as if you are parodying what the White House is saying.d'oh!

If everyone was outraged when it was originally said/done, do you honestly expect that you're going to "explain" all that horror and distaste away by repeating it? Do you seriously think you are changing hearts and minds simply by doggedly repeating the same things over and over; and metaphorically closing your eyes, putting your hands over your ears and shouting "I'm not listening" each time anyone provides any of the factual evidence you keep saying no-one has ever provided. (Yeah, yeah, we know: you don't bother to read them because, if they prove you wrong they must have been written by evil subversives and couldn't possibly be true.And besides we are all fools and you're the only person who knows what's going on.Drool Sigh.)

Anyway, not to worry, I don't think there's a person outside of America who needs you to interpret for them any more, thanks. When news crews ON CAMERA, live on programmes in Germany, Australia, France, and more are being gassed, assaulted, beaten, shot with mace by COPS you know what, mate? There is nothing - absolutely nothing - that you can say which will make the people of the really Free World make things we are seeing on camera go away. There's no argument you could possibly put forward which would make ANY of this dystopian scenario happening right in front of our eyes, be defensible.Do you not see that this is NOT NORMAL? It's not happening anywhere else. Cops are NOT allowed to attack people in any Democratic country. Attacking the Press is attacking one of our most basic Rights, and which extends to every other developed country. It's anathema to anyone with values.

You're just digging yourself in deeper and deeper into your media of choice which, obviously, cannot be showing the same footage that coverage all over the globe is providing? No one but a psychopath could not only defend the violence which has erupted, but support police brutality (that is undeniably visual,blatant, horrifying) against people who are protesting about police brutality.

Can you really not get your head around that?
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:50:57 PM

Neurons: 460,923
So our Douche Canoe in Chief needed a photo op with a bible:
https://religionnews.com/2020/06/02/ahead-of-trump-bible-photo-op-police-forcibly-expel-priest-from-st-johns-church-near-white-house/

The church appeared to be completely abandoned.

It was, in fact, abandoned, but not by choice: Less than an hour before Trump’s arrival, armored police used tear gas to clear hundreds of peaceful demonstrators from Lafayette Square park, which is across the street from the church.

Authorities also expelled at least one Episcopal priest and a seminarian from the church’s patio.

“They turned holy ground into a battleground,” said the Rev. Gini Gerbasi.

Gerbasi, who serves as rector at a different St. John’s Episcopal Church, in nearby Georgetown, arrived at St. John’s Lafayette earlier that day with what she said were at least 20 other priests and a group of laypeople. They were organized by the Episcopal Diocese of Washington to serve as a “peaceful presence in support of protesters.”

The volunteers and clergy offered water, snacks and hand sanitizer to demonstrators who were gathered in Lafayette Park across the street — which sits directly in front of the White House — to denounce racism and police brutality after the death of Floyd.

But sometime after 6 in the evening, when volunteers were packing up supplies, Gerbasi said police suddenly began to expel demonstrators from the park — before the 7 p.m. curfew announced for Washington residents earlier in the day.

“I was suddenly coughing from the tear gas,” she said. “We heard those explosions and people would drop to the ground because you weren’t sure what it was.”

The Rev. Glenna J. Huber, rector of the Church of the Epiphany, another downtown Washington church, was at St. John’s but left as the National Guard arrived. She said she watched as police rushed into the area she had just fled. Concerned, the priest sent a frantic email to clergy at the church urging them to be careful.

Back at St. John’s, Gerbasi said she was dressed in clerical garb and standing on church grounds as police approached.

“I’m there in my little pink sweater in my collar, my gray hair up in a ponytail, my reading glasses on, and my seminarian who was with me — she got tear gas in her eyes,” she said.

Gerbasi said that as she and the seminarian watched, police began to expel people from the church patio.

“The police in their riot gear with their black shields and the whole bit start pushing on to the patio of St. John’s Lafayette Square,” she said, adding that people around her began crying out in pain, saying they had been shot with nonlethal projectiles.

Gerbasi and others eventually fled the scene, leaving emergency medical supplies behind. By the time she reached K Street several blocks away and checked her phone, Trump was already in front of the church holding a Bible.

“That’s what it was for: to clear that patio so that man could stand in front of that building with a Bible,” said Gerbasi.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/06/03/trump-bible-st-johns-church-worse-than-dukakis-tank-column/3133693001/

Rude, presumptuous and abnormal

It’s impossible to overstate how insane this is. In a normal White House, the staff is vigilant about avoiding even a hint of presumption in event planning. When I worked for Vice President Al Gore, we had to apologize when he took a canoe trip and local authorities released some water from a dam three hours early to raise the level of the river.

Then there’s the photo op itself. When Trump posed at the church, he stood in his odd, stiff posture, holding a Bible aloft like he was offering it for auction. He glowered at the camera and, when asked by a reporter if the Bible was his Bible, he replied, "A bible." As Budde noted, Trump did not ask permission to use the church as a prop or even warn her that he was coming. He did not pray. He did not offer “a word of balm or condolence.” He looked angry and mean … at a church.

Generally, stagecraft disasters are obvious. In this case, Trump's usual critics piled on immediately, and some of his Republican allies were appalled. MSNBC host Joe Scarborough actually compared the St. John's debacle (unfavorably) to the tank event. “If your question is should you use tear gas to clear a path so the president can go have a photo op, the answer is no," said Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:59:22 PM

Neurons: 55,607

Did you see the footage of the Priest whose Bible it was? She wasn't asked, wasn't even told that her own, private Bible just went sailing out the door,Because, mystifyingly, The Leader had had a sudden and urgent yen to wave a real, bona fide Bible about and grab the Episcopal Vote.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:04:18 PM

Neurons: 460,923
Romany wrote:

Did you see the footage of the Priest whose Bible it was? She wasn't asked, wasn't even told that her own, private Bible just went sailing out the door,Because, mystifyingly, The Leader had had a sudden and urgent yen to wave a real, bona fide Bible about and grab the Episcopal Vote.

Thou shalt not steal is not really one of the 10 commandments. Fake news. Same with adultery. It's fine. God told him personally.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:40:21 PM

Neurons: 1,347,479
Blaidd-Drwg wrote:
Romany wrote:

Thou shalt not steal is not really one of the 10 commandments. Fake news. Same with adultery. It's fine. God told him personally.

Sexual assault is cool too. You can get away with it because of your celebrity. "Grab 'em by the p#ssy." so says the leader. It's his way of sharing what's in his heart.