The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

gained Options
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 8:55:27 AM

Neurons: 5,984
Hi, I would like to ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in he following:
In the course of my academic and professional career, I have gained a breadth of experience which I believe will enable me to succeed as a X engineer (or, alternatively, (as?) a Y engineer) at Z Inc. Especially while working on my degree and when/while consulting within the T Group, I was/(have been) engaged in optimizing the production process of, and coating techniques for, polymeric and composite materials. This work involved the characterization of/characterizing the tribological properties and abrasive wear resistance of such materials as well as analyzing/(the analysis of) their chemical composition and (evaluating of)/evaluation their physical and mechanical properties. Additionally, I have gained (a possible synonym?) experience in identifying, quantifying and mitigating hazards and managing associated risks (by?) employing methods for risk assessment such as ...
FounDit
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:26:49 AM

Neurons: 66,568
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would like to ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in he following:
My suggestions follow. I assume you are asking for "a" or "an" rather than x or y. Use a "x" engineer if the name begins with a consonant, and "an" if it has a vowel.

In the course of my academic and professional career, I have gained a breadth of experience which I believe will enable me to succeed as a X engineer (or, alternatively, (as?) a Y engineer) at Z Inc. While working on my degree and while consulting within the T Group, I was engaged in optimizing the production process of, and coating techniques for, polymeric and composite materials. This work involved characterizing the tribological properties and abrasive wear resistance of such materials, as well as the analysis of their chemical composition, and evaluation of their physical and mechanical properties. Additionally, I have gained (a possible synonym? acquired, or "increased my", depending on the degree) experience in identifying, quantifying and mitigating hazards and managing associated risks by employing methods for risk assessment such as ...
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:42:27 AM

Neurons: 5,984
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
My suggestions follow. I assume you are asking for "a" or "an" rather than x or y. Use a "x" engineer if the name begins with a consonant, and "an" if it has a vowel.

In the course of my academic and professional career, I have gained a breadth of experience which I believe will enable me to succeed as a X engineer (or, alternatively, (as?) a Y engineer) at Z Inc. While working on my degree and while consulting within the T Group, I was engaged in optimizing the production process of, and coating techniques for, polymeric and composite materials. This work involved characterizing the tribological properties and abrasive wear resistance of such materials, as well as the analysis of their chemical composition, and evaluation of their physical and mechanical properties. Additionally, I have gained (a possible synonym? acquired, or "increased my", depending on the degree) experience in identifying, quantifying and mitigating hazards and managing associated risks by employing methods for risk assessment such as ...

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions. Only a couple of questions: I was asking whether you should include as in ... (or, alternatively, (as?) a Y engineer) ...
I noticed that you used ... characterizing ... and then ... analysis of ... and ... evaluation of ...; should it not be better to use ... characterization of ... analysis of ... evaluation of ..., or ... characterizing ... analyzing ... evaluating ...?
FounDit
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 6:18:58 PM

Neurons: 66,568
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions. Only a couple of questions: I was asking whether you should include as in ... (or, alternatively, (as?) a Y engineer) ...Yes.

I noticed that you used ... characterizing ... and then ... analysis of ... and ... evaluation of ...; should it not be better to use ... characterization of ... analysis of ... evaluation of ..., or ... characterizing ... analyzing ... evaluating ...?

I don't see a great difference. It's just two ways of saying the same thing to me, but, yes, you can. It's your choice, and either way would be fine.